Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "I raise, therefore I am." - Howard Lederer (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=178630)

TStoneMBD 01-17-2005 02:26 PM

\"I raise, therefore I am.\" - Howard Lederer

can someone tell me what this means?

a500lbgorilla 01-17-2005 02:28 PM

Re: \"I raise, therefore I am.\" - Howard Lederer

Howard Lederer was trying to be poetic but just ended up being moronic(?)

-'rilla

bholdr 01-17-2005 03:21 PM

the original phrase is "cogito ergo sum" i think therefore i am. maybe he's trying to draw a paralell betewwn thinking players and aggressive players, and trying too hard to sound smart while he's doing it.

a500lbgorilla 01-17-2005 04:05 PM

Maybe a vague parralel between the two but you can draw no meaning from it without heavy bullshiting.

-'rilla

PokerMike 01-17-2005 05:40 PM

Its a Descartes quote.

klagett 01-17-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trying too hard to sound smart while he's doing it

[/ QUOTE ]

Agrd with this

Typical_Cat 01-17-2005 08:22 PM

The original quote "I think, therefore I am" is the thinking man's way of distinguishing himself from your average citizen, the mindless zombie.

"I raise, therefore I am" distinguishes Lederer and other aggressive poker players from the average player pool. Plus, just as "thinking" or intellect or enlightenment or whatever you want to call it was the most important part of Descartes' life, "raising" or just playing poker is the most important part of Lederer's life.

Or something like that.

burningyen 01-17-2005 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...just as "thinking" or intellect or enlightenment or whatever you want to call it was the most important part of Descartes' life...

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, it was a line from his proof of the existence of God.

TStoneMBD 01-17-2005 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The original quote "I think, therefore I am" is the thinking man's way of distinguishing himself from your average citizen, the mindless zombie.

"I raise, therefore I am" distinguishes Lederer and other aggressive poker players from the average player pool. Plus, just as "thinking" or intellect or enlightenment or whatever you want to call it was the most important part of Descartes' life, "raising" or just playing poker is the most important part of Lederer's life.

Or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks i think this is the one i was looking for.

a500lbgorilla 01-17-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a quote to distinguish himself from normal people.

[ QUOTE ]
The argument that is usually summarized as "cogito ergo sum" appears first in Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy, where he attempts to build an entire philosophical system with no prior assumptions. He reasons that since all his beliefs have been derived from potentially misleading sense data or potentially fallacious logic, he can trust nothing that he has hitherto taken to be true. That is to say, he decides to systematically doubt all that could conceivably be doubted. He discovers the one thing that he cannot doubt is his own existence. After all, he claims, something nonexistent is incapable even of the act of doubting. Thus the formulation, "I think, therefore I am", was the starting point of his philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito_ergo_sum

-'rilla