Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Folding A_K PF shorthanded. Mistake? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379567)

Zetack 11-16-2005 11:20 AM

Folding A_K PF shorthanded. Mistake?

I can't remember some of the details, sorry.

Home tourney, 19 players with rebuys. Down to 4 players. Payoffs 600, 485, 220, 100.

I'm the chip leader with about 21k, another guy is close to me in chips. I don't remember where the blinds were in this hand.

Blinds 500/1000. Min raise, then the guy to my right goes all-in for about 12K. My read on him isn't great, but he's loose and, particularly post flop, capable of putting in a lot of chips with marginal hands. I don't recall him pushing PF on any other hands up to that point.

Min raise guy is decently solid for a home game player, probably not aggressive enough, but hadn't done anything notably unusual.

I look down at A-Ko and fold.

This may be my first PF fold with A-K in a tourney, and I'm wondering if it was a mistake.

Based on this info, what do y'all think?

-Zetack

nath 11-16-2005 09:32 PM

Re: Folding A_K PF shorthanded. Mistake?

My chips are in the pot so fast.

[ QUOTE ]
the guy to my right goes all-in for about 12K. My read on him isn't great, but he's loose

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get from A to B?

Exitonly 11-16-2005 09:50 PM

i can't imagine folding this here. what was your reasoning? (like i read your description, but i dont see how that = fold)

11-16-2005 09:51 PM

You've got the guy doubled...you're already cashing..and you fold?

How is this a question?

TheBlueMonster 11-16-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the guy to my right goes all-in for about 12K. My read on him isn't great, but he's loose

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I don't get it. Are we supposed to applaud his weak tight play?

Zetack 11-17-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I don't get it. Are we supposed to applaud his weak tight play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how you get from my thinking it may have been a mistake to I'm asking for applause.

My thinking is this, I like to be the aggressor, I like having fold equity, I've got the chips now to play for first, losing here cripples me, and I kinda like the guy for a small pair trying to shove out the min-raise. I wasn't sure I wanted to coin-flip to crippled or a bigger chip lead when I already liked my chances to play for first.

Plus the buy in was seventy so it wasn't like being in the money for a hundred was very exciting.

But yeah, I've been wondering if it was a bad mistake.

For the results oriented among you, the guy implied that he had a medium ace after the hand. I ended up chopping evenly when me and one other guy got heads up a bit later.

Zetack

nath 11-17-2005 08:19 PM

This is why you don't try to be so specific about hand ranges when you don't have enough information. A pair can put his opponent on AK and an AK can put his opponent on a pair all day if he wants to justify the decision he wants to make.
It's just usually not the best one, especially since that kind of thinking ignores a large part of hand range.

billyjex 11-17-2005 08:23 PM

4-handed, you have AK, somebody with 12xbb goes all in. That's all you need to know.