Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The dreaded ace showed up on the turn (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402371)

imported_getfunky 12-20-2005 10:07 PM

The dreaded ace showed up on the turn

Was check and fold a weak play? .. should i have bet out and folded to a raise .. what if I was called - do I check/call river or check/fold?

btw the player seemed pretty solid so I didn't think I could have the best hand when two overcards came - but after the hand I realized he might have had two tens, and I suspect though I'm new to limit, I should have bet the turn and then decided, rather than check out of positon.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Sarge85 12-20-2005 10:24 PM

Re: The dreaded ace showed up on the turn

Poopy -

License to bluff you gave

Bet/fold to a raise better than check/fold.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

silkyslim 12-20-2005 10:56 PM

bet/fold the freaking turn, you are ahead of alot of open raise/call hands and just gave them a chance to bluff you out.

goofball 12-21-2005 08:20 AM

This is very much a bet and fold I think. It'll be damn near impossible for him to pop you on the turn with a worse hand, and you can't give him free flush cards or the chance to bluff you out. I tend to bet these hands all the way, folding if raised or deciding if it's on the river.

Pharity 12-21-2005 10:32 AM

Sure check/fold is not good at all here. But i don't think bet/fold is good either. There are many worse hands which he can pop the turn with here! He is in position, he can semi-bluff a flushdraw, either spades or clubs (yes he can have a club draw), and he could sense your weakness and pop you with a worse pocket pair intending to check behind on the river. He could have PP all the way from 66-JJ. Nono, do not bet/fold either.

So i'd say check/call the turn and probably bet/fold the river, that's especially attractive if a spade or club shows up, he will defenitely not raise a worse hand then.

Pharity 12-21-2005 10:54 AM

Perhaps i'm wrong since he may also check behind with a lot of dangerous hands.

But isn't a worse hand raising here something you have to take into consideration? And yes, i know this is 1/2.

12-21-2005 11:29 AM

this is very similar to a hand I posted a bit earlier (I had pocket JJ, A came on the river). The big difference is in my hand, I had position, so I checked behind. In this hand you are acting first, and I think it is generally the best line to bet with few outs and check with outs. You have few outs, so I think bet/fold works better. As many mentioned, it makes it a bit more costly for villain to bluff you out of the pot