Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   a 150 hand i forgot about (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340424)

James282 09-20-2005 12:07 AM

a 150 hand i forgot about

This hand takes place against Paul, who is an aggressive player but one who is young and unafraid to lay down when he thinks he is beat. Since I have been at the table, he hasn't lost a showdown(even when putting in action on previous streets). He has been stealing very aggressively and isn't afraid to make a move at the turn.

Paul open raises the button and I call with Ks9h in the BB.

The flop is 8sTs3d. I check-raise, he calls.

The turn is a Jh. I bet, he raises, I three-bet, he pauses and grimaces and calls.

The river is a 4, I bet.
-James

mvernon851 09-20-2005 12:34 AM

Re: a 150 hand i forgot about

What was your thought process?

I'm assuming you decided you both picked up draws on the turn and were betting him off a missed draw. Isn't it just as likely that he had a J and was calling you down?

worm33 09-20-2005 12:41 AM

this is such spewing to me. Obviously his range of stealing hands is large here so u cant assume 10-8-rag missed him, and u have k9 high...check fold

James282 09-20-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is such spewing to me. Obviously his range of stealing hands is large here so u cant assume 10-8-rag missed him, and u have k9 high...check fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi worm, this is not a standard line. This is a once in a while line against someone who has been stealing very aggressively but who doesn't showdown as lightly as most.
-James

La Brujita 09-20-2005 12:51 AM

I am with you until the turn where I bet and call the raise.

James282 09-20-2005 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am with you until the turn where I bet and call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, but it gives me no chance to win unimproved and makes my future flop raises in blind defense scenarios lose a lot of steam. Since I will have 11 outs most of the time I am behind and he will showdown, there is a big possibility that he will fold many better hands unimproved on the river, and there is acutally a chance he'll fold right there on the turn, I went ahead and three-bet. There is also a decent chance he is raising a naked ace here, a nine himself, or a flush draw.
-James

willie24 09-20-2005 12:57 AM

you made this play because you thought you had a strong read on a very abnormal opponent. only you know what made you make this play. its possible you were right.

i cant imagine the opponent i would make this play against, and i suspect this was probably a poor play.

why not wait to the river to bluff?

James282 09-20-2005 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your thought process?

I'm assuming you decided you both picked up draws on the turn and were betting him off a missed draw. Isn't it just as likely that he had a J and was calling you down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's just as likely, but it is certainly possible. I do think it's equally probable that he has a ten or a Jack - and I am saying "neither of these scares me." This opponent, for example, would be extremely unlikely to showdown an unimproved AT.
-James

ggbman 09-20-2005 12:59 AM

Honestly james, and i could be off here, i think calling the turn raise and donking the river gets him off the same range of hands as your line. Hard for him to call a river bet with A9 or or any underpair to board if you do that. It's tricky since you have many outs here, i think your line is ok from time to time. This all said, he raised preflop, smooth called a flop c/r, and then popped the turn. This is also merit to calling and folding the river UI...

James282 09-20-2005 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you made this play because you thought you had a strong read on a very abnormal opponent. only you know what made you make this play. its possible you were right.

i cant imagine the opponent i would make this play against, and i suspect this was probably a poor play.

why not wait to the river to bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it only costs one more bet to call the river and it costs 2 more to call when I bluff at the turn. You suspect it was probably a poor play, but would you showdown an unimproved 8, A9, or a ten against an opponent who so far has not gotten out of line?
-James