Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Check up on a river fold. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=192975)

bdypdx 02-09-2005 06:26 PM

Check up on a river fold.

Loose, passive, ideal... B&M 3/6 game, 9 player table. I'm in seat 9. Total fish in seats 7 & 8 and are the blinds in this hand. Weak-tight guy is in seat 6. Otherwise, the table is very fishy except for seat 3. (Oh, the players in seats 7 & 8 could pretty much be guaranteed to call no matter what the action by the time it got back to them. 3-bet? Capped? They'd be in!)

I'm UTG with QsTs and limp in. 3 more limpers and the button raises. The blinds call of course and I call, as do the other limpers.

Flop: QhTc6d
Blinds check. I bet out. 2 limpers call, seat 3 folds, button calls and blinds call.

Turn: Jd (QhTc6d)
Blinds check. I bet. Limpers fold. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls.

River: 5d (JdQhTc6d)
BB bets. Uh oh. This is the second time the guy has actually bet, as opposed to calling, in 3 hours. I call. Button raises. BB calls. I fold.

Thoughts?

rmarotti 02-09-2005 06:53 PM

Re: Check up on a river fold.

Yikes. I dunno. You're getting like 14:1 if I count correctly. Did you just not want to overcall? What did BB have the last time he bet out?

bdypdx 02-09-2005 07:23 PM

Basically, the BB never did anything but call. So, suddenly he's betting. I didn't have too much of a problem with that, but when the weak tight button "raises" and the BB calls....I figured I was beat...

Couldn't see it any other way...so I folded...

-bdy

Zez 02-09-2005 07:24 PM

Flop: I like to check-raise here. Bad idea?

River - several good reasons to fold. Calling-station suddenly turns into aggressor, weak-tight button wakes up and raises, And I hate overcalling!

On the other hand, it's 18:1 back to you and some of these guys get excited when they river two-pair, having put you on just one pair. I'm guessing the blind had two-pair and the button backed into a flush with two big broadway cards.

So...I fold too.

bdypdx 02-10-2005 01:21 PM

Re: Check up on a river fold. - Results

I really wanted to go for a CR on the flop, but after 2 earlier CR attempts, I didn't trust anyone in this crew to bet the flop. So, I bet out instead. I also wanted to gauge the response of the preflop raiser in seat 6. I had seen him raise overcards/pairs preflop in previous hands and then go into check mode after the flop didn't hit his hand.

On the river, I even considered raising the BB; but with the 3 flush and 3 straight on the board, and the tighter player yet to act, I decided to just call and then fold to the raise.

As it turned out. The BB calling station had 2 hearts in his hand and had misread his hand thinking he had a flush. Seat 6 had AKo for the turned Broadway.