Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The lottery is +EV (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336011)

sfer 09-13-2005 03:29 PM

The lottery is +EV

I just bought (partially) a lottery ticket for the first time and it's a good move. Everyone at work is buying a share of a ticket (apparently the jackpot in NY is high right now) at the urging of one of our admins. If they won and I was the guy who didn't get rich because I made a smart gamble, I would have to kill myself. Thus, the infinitesimal probability of not having to kill myself tomorrow is +EV.

bravos1 09-13-2005 03:31 PM

Re: The lottery is +EV

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought (partially) a lottery ticket for the first time and it's a good move. Everyone at work is buying a share of a ticket (apparently the jackpot in NY is high right now) at the urging of one of our admins. If they won and I was the guy who didn't get rich because I made a smart gamble, I would have to kill myself. Thus, the infinitesimal probability of not having to kill myself tomorrow is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys all share in ONE ticket?

IndieMatty 09-13-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used this line forever. I guilted my ex-coworkers to keep me in their pool. I am very serious, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

sfer 09-13-2005 03:33 PM

I don't know, dude. I just gave her $1 and told her to pick my numbers.

siccjay 09-13-2005 03:34 PM

Yea, I'm sure they put up like 10 cents a piece.

smokingrobot 09-13-2005 03:34 PM

are they planning on not giving out bonues this year or something?

09-13-2005 03:34 PM

good move but be warned that there is quite a bit of legal jurisprudence on lottery agreements among friends/co-workers. there is a chance your agreement might not consitute a contract in the eyes of the court.

kerssens 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

This is just a recipe for disaster. I especially like how after the tickets are bought everyone sits around and talks about how they'll spend their share.

manpower 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys all share in ONE ticket?

[/ QUOTE ]
Office pools generally buy many tickets, then if any of the tickets win, the money is split between everyone in the pool.

TheCroShow 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

yet another retard uses +EV in a -EV fashion....