Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I don't like to play well (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=219830)

Popinjay 03-25-2005 10:11 AM

I don\'t like to play well

What should I do? Seriously, playing well bores me or is too mentally tasking. I prefer shoving the chips in the middle and then we see what happens. I need help.

Rolen 03-25-2005 10:33 AM

Re: I don\'t like to play well

I used to do exactly that. Now I play 4 tables at once, try it..You don't have time to get bored and you actually WANT to fold 'cause you've got 3 other hands on the go.

Zoltri 03-25-2005 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I do? Seriously, playing well bores me or is too mentally tasking. I prefer shoving the chips in the middle and then we see what happens. I need help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quit playing poker and promise yourself never to touch a deck of cards again. I'm serious....you will save yourself a lot of mental anguish.

SittingBull 03-25-2005 11:01 AM

Hello,Poppin! If U can afford to play this way...and enjoy...

just playing,then go ahead and continue to do so--- as long as U are able to pay your monthly "nut",and is happy playing this way,continue to do so.
If the losses start to affect U mentally,then STOP! Lose ONLY what doesn't hurt U pschologially or financially.
Playing several tables might be a reasonable alternative. I personnally play ONE table,read,and do some mathematics problems while I'm waiting for what I perceive to be a playable hand. At the MICRO limits,I do very little focusing. Hence,I make a rather large #of errors and therefore,I'm relinguishing some profit. However,it's a compromise since I will probably NOT burn myself out and I will NOT be bored.
HappyPokeering, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull

Bodhi 03-25-2005 12:29 PM

play in our home game tonight

It's full of people just like you.

Other things you can do:
Assess your motivations with the Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker.
Play in short handed games.
Play in games with large antes or blinds.
Play at the lowest limits you can tolerate.

EliteNinja 03-27-2005 06:19 AM

If you don't like to play well, it's the same as saying, "I don't like money!" Since you can live with that, maybe you should just set aside a monthly amount of disposable income for poker to lose.

Donate all your poker bankroll to a 2+2er you think is a winner. He/she would probably be better off playing with the money than you losing it all.

KidPokerX 03-27-2005 06:28 AM

Either stop playing until you educate yourself, or do what Ninja said.

-KidPokerX

Gbob 03-27-2005 10:02 AM

You should play at my table.

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with this. People get different things out of poker. Some people love the action, others love the strategy, some just like to make money. As long as the money issue isn't a problem, then go for it.

EliteNinja 03-27-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should play at my table.

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with this. People get different things out of poker. Some people love the action, others love the strategy, some just like to make money. As long as the money issue isn't a problem, then go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.
Just as long as it doesn't rule your life, it's all good.

PassiveCaller 03-27-2005 05:26 PM

Just play with money you can afford to lose and set aside how much of it that is. Some people like the gambling aspects of poker more and as long as you have a handle on the situation then there isn't anything necessarily wrong with it.