Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   The hardest part of NL Holdem is.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400348)

TomCollins 12-17-2005 03:48 PM

The hardest part of NL Holdem is....

I suppose we could get some interesting responses by fillowing out the ending of this. Try to keep it to a short phrase or single word.

I'll start.

The hardest part of NL Holdem is knowing when to fire a second bullet.

pokerjoker 12-17-2005 04:05 PM

Re: The hardest part of NL Holdem is....

I think this post really depends what level you are at.

for me it is
-to keep focus.
-This might require explaination, but math is also a lot more important than most players think.

rikz 12-17-2005 04:14 PM

Play an overpair versus a flop check/min-raise when the pot is already 1/5 your stack from preflop betting.

Figuring out that folding is usually +EV.

Playing heads up when a full table breaks up with a guy that pops in an goes all-in just about every hand preflop and pushes just about every flop.

pokerjoker 12-17-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing heads up when a full table breaks up with a guy that pops in an goes all-in just about every hand preflop and pushes just about every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the easiest situation in poker for me....wait for a an AJ+/88+ then get it allin when u have an overpair or top pair.

Sephus 12-17-2005 04:27 PM

folding is zero EV. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

usi34 12-17-2005 05:03 PM

For me The hardest part of NL Holdem is playing big pairs with deep stacks. I always tell myself I'm not going to get involved in a big pot but it always happens

rikz 12-17-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the easiest situation in poker for me....wait for a an AJ+/88+ then get it allin when u have an overpair or top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate calling an all-in with AJ or 88, even if I know it's positive EV given the maniac's behavior. Even a maniac picks up a real hand sometimes.

I think this is really a bank roll management question. I shouldn't be playing heads up if I can't be happy losing AQs to T7o when it all goes in before the flop. Nevertheless, I find it hard to do when it took 3-hours to double my buy-in and now that the table's short I can lose it in one hand to a maniac while doing everything right.

It's probably the magnitude of variance against a maniac that I find hardest to deal with at NL and this is just one example. Fortunately, maniacs really don't last long. I just like being the guy that busts him A LOT more than being one of the guys he stacks once or twice before he busts out.

rikz 12-17-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, folding is often -(-EV). So I just abbreviated it with '+'EV. I did the math right, here, didn't I?

swolfe 12-17-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, folding is often -(-EV). So I just abbreviated it with '+'EV. I did the math right, here, didn't I?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, no...folding is always 0 EV. what you're trying to say is that sometimes 0 is the highest EV available.

Sephus 12-17-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding is zero EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its greater EV than something thats negative EV, but not positive EV. i was just being nitty thats why i [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

rikz 12-17-2005 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes 0 is the highest EV available.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

yvesaint 12-17-2005 06:28 PM

the hardest part of playing nl hold 'em is deciding whether to save or spend the money

warlockjd 12-17-2005 06:30 PM

..folding my big hands when i *know* I am beat.....I should have doubled my incom this year...bleh

12-17-2005 06:36 PM

The hardest part of NL Hold'em is....

Swallowing your pride and digesting your ego.

Rotating Rabbit 12-17-2005 07:40 PM

The hardest part of NL Hold'em is...

recognising when you're getting beaten up, either being outplayed or outdealt, and that either way your table image is terrible, and that you should take a break

edge 12-17-2005 09:41 PM

The hardest part of NL hold'em is not getting bored when I play 4 tables and then don't get any reads because I'm doing something else at the same time and then I play poorly and leak money.

pokerjoker 12-17-2005 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest part of NL hold'em is not getting bored when I play 4 tables and then don't get any reads because I'm doing something else at the same time and then I play poorly and leak money.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...couldn't have said it better myself.

Ghazban 12-17-2005 09:58 PM

... 2nd level reads. I often know a guy is weak but don't know if he'll fold if I play back. This comes up a lot live where I know a guy has TPNK or something but I don't know if he can be moved off it or if he'll give one of those disgusted calls even though he knows in his head he's beat.

Big pairs out of position against decent-but-not-great opponents are tough, too.

Niwa 12-18-2005 12:55 AM

The hardest part of NL holdem is to avoid playing when you're "out of order"

-Skeme- 12-18-2005 01:04 AM

Keeping a level head and handling swings is the correct answer.

Allinlife 12-18-2005 01:13 AM

finding a good table

bkholdem 12-18-2005 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest part of NL Hold'em is....

Swallowing your pride and digesting your ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

crosse91 12-18-2005 01:24 AM

deciding whether to call or fold those pocket 2s to a 3bb raise.

Morrek 12-18-2005 01:45 AM

To stop making stupid tilt-allins all the [censored] time, especially when playing a little over my roll

tagtastic 12-18-2005 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

recognising when you're getting beaten up, either being outplayed or outdealt, and that either way your table image is terrible, and that you should take a break

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura 12-18-2005 02:42 AM

differentiating between your opinion of your image and your actual table image. This seems to apply more so at lower stakes.

Soul Rebel 12-18-2005 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

recognising when you're getting beaten up, either being outplayed or outdealt, and that either way your table image is terrible, and that you should take a break even if it means leaving a really great table

[/ QUOTE ]

amoeba 12-18-2005 02:52 AM

come on guys,

the hardest part of NL holdem is easily calculating fold equity.

soah 12-18-2005 02:53 AM

The hardest part of NL Holdem is making decisions based upon how good your hand is compared to your opponent's hand, instead of how good your hand is compared to how good your opponent thinks your hand is.

amoeba 12-18-2005 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest part of NL Holdem is making decisions based upon how good your hand is compared to your opponent's hand, instead of how good your hand is compared to how good your opponent thinks your hand is.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't making decisions based on how good your opponent thinks your hand is be more profitable?

soah 12-18-2005 03:35 AM

Fooling your opponent has no value if they have the nuts.

rid.br 12-18-2005 11:13 AM

The hardest part of NL Holdem is knowing the right frequencies of your moves.

goodguy_1 12-18-2005 12:58 PM

...is letting go of a big pocket pair on the turn to substantial heat when the action has been heads-up from the getgo.

This is where I lose more money than any other scenario in NLHE ..for some reason I seem to make better laydowns playing 6MAX than Fullhanded ..I dont make enough of these laydowns...These hands cost players the big money becuase ususually when you are wrong you are losing a substantial amount of your stack ..it destroys your earn if you cant recognize it and fix it...a major leak very difficult to remedy permanently.

sawseech 12-19-2005 12:36 AM

not thinking too much