Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Don't Call It A Comeback, I've Been Here For Years (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=270333)

grandgnu 06-10-2005 09:23 PM

Don\'t Call It A Comeback, I\'ve Been Here For Years

So, after playing at a variety of other sites, having started with $75 and built it to over $300 in a week playing Omaha Hi/Lo (limit) I went over to Empire Poker.

A buddy snagged me a 30% rakeback deal. I wanted to start at the $1/$2 tables, but I primarily enjoy full-ring games, not 6-max, and that's pretty much all that 1/2 offered.

So I made the mondo-mistake of three-tabling 2/4 with my bankroll. After playing everything on Empire from 0.50/1, 1/2, 2/4 and 3/6 my bankroll yesterday morning stood at a whopping $48 (from my starting $310 PLUS a $62 deposit bonus)

Needless to say, I was playing over my head, chasing big pots and not having the bankroll or discipline to play correctly for my roll.

With only enough to two-table the 0.50/1 tables, that's what I did, and I played magnificantly. Today my bankroll closed at $128, and would've been a good $150 or more, had I not been pushed out by the fish on pots where I did indeed have the best of it (but didn't want to chase non-nut hands against multiple opponents)

I've played over 2500 hands at Empire, and paid about $160 in rake according to Poker Tracker. Hopefully by the end of the month I can look forward to over $100 in rakeback, that would help me get things back on track even faster.

In the interim, I went from a VPIP of 27 to 21.

My Won$SD went from 50 to 55, so it's moving in the right direction. I even ran into Toots at one of my tables today, sucked out on her on the river. Knew what her hand was, figured I could at least snag the high-half of the hand and she got counterfieted on the river and I scooped.

Sorry you've had a run of bad luck Toots, hope it picks up again, and that we don't play at the same table. As much as I like making money, I'm not a big fan of taking it from someone I consider a friend, even if only online.

I'll probably be hitting Foxwoods next Friday morning for the 8am $100 No Limit Hold Em tournament. I've played 5 of them so far and placed in the money 3 times, with two final tables (9th and 7th)

Just read Caro's book on poker tells, paid for itself this past weekend when I won $650 placing first in my home game (didn't hurt that I took out a short-stack when I had Q/Q against his A/A and I flopped a set and rivered quads, or that in the final three I had 10/10 vs. K/K and flopped another set, but my reads on opponents worked excellent thanks to that book)

I have a little wall hanging with all my victory tickets from Foxwoods, but there's a blank spot that I'd like to fill with another ticket. And if that fails, hopefully the Omaha Hi/Lo $5/$10 with kill game will be running, w00t!

toots 06-10-2005 09:38 PM

Re: Don\'t Call It A Comeback, I\'ve Been Here For Years

That's ok. I have my share of playing 45 out of the BB and sucking a wheel out.

Yeah, I had A34 and made the nut low and a set of 3s by the turn. Not the greatest, but no one was betting back at me, so I figured I was on my way to scoop city.

Until, of course, that A came up on the river. SIGH.

That's pretty much how my week's been going.

You didn't seem to enjoy my total donk bravado when I raised PF with AAAK (rainbow!) and managed to take down the whole pot.

Well, I figured the only one who was gonna call me was the guy with the case A, and I had a good chance against him heads up.

I was right.

grandgnu 06-10-2005 10:06 PM

Re: Don\'t Call It A Comeback, I\'ve Been Here For Years

[ QUOTE ]
That's ok. I have my share of playing 45 out of the BB and sucking a wheel out.

Yeah, I had A34 and made the nut low and a set of 3s by the turn. Not the greatest, but no one was betting back at me, so I figured I was on my way to scoop city.

Until, of course, that A came up on the river. SIGH.

That's pretty much how my week's been going.

You didn't seem to enjoy my total donk bravado when I raised PF with AAAK (rainbow!) and managed to take down the whole pot.

Well, I figured the only one who was gonna call me was the guy with the case A, and I had a good chance against him heads up.

I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely HATE A/A hands with middle or big cards, at least at the lowest limits. It's very difficult to "narrow the field" with them, and usually you're up against 4-5 hands and it's not going to be any good.

I've had my share of bluffs, when I knew my opponents where chasing "x" hand and they didn't hit, they might've had me beat, but I was betting the whole way and never let up, so that's paid off reasonably well (except when some donk calls you down with two pair, 7's and 3's, doh!)

I don't remember my exact hand against you, but I flopped the nut straight draw, and figured you for the low, so thought I could at least take the high half of the pot, wasn't counting on your being counterfieted, but I couldn't complain at that point.

I know what you mean though. You hold A/A/K/Q double suited and the flop is 5/6/7 not of your suit. You hold A/2/3/4 or A/A/2/3 or A/A/2/5 suited, double suited, whatever, and the flop is either high cards, or two low cards and then high cards on the turn and river and you're chasing the whole way, ick. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]