Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Texas Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407704)

12-30-2005 11:43 AM

Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?

12-30-2005 12:15 PM

Re: Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.

pokergrader 12-30-2005 12:24 PM

Playing limit gets me more partypoints.

crunchy1 12-30-2005 12:51 PM

I believe that limit games have - and will continue to have, into the future -many more bad players than no-limit.

12-30-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

limit games provides the fundamentals that you need to succeed in no limit. calculating outs, potodds, aggression, hand-reading- limit game stresses (and develops) these skills which is the core of the game. you will not develop to be a good poker player in general if you do not have these skills. IMO, to be a serious NL player, you HAVE to have a solid limit game as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my feeling too.

Regards,
Ian

12-30-2005 01:23 PM

I would agree with "noob" that you have to have a good limit game to start. But, no-limit clearly takes odds farther away from success in the game. With no-limit, it is much easier to pick up betting tells and to get inside someone's head with an "all-in". I thik the reason that limit is perceived as a weaker game is because it does hide bad players who, without the limits, would have no idea how to bet.

Gabe

12-30-2005 01:36 PM

i would think that no limit hides bad players better.. due their ability to make the postflop plays worthless by going all-in preflop.

Matt Williams 12-30-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I play Limit. Eventually, I want to play No Limit and No Limit Tourniments (when my bankroll can afford it) but you need to be better at the basics before you can do anything else. When I first started, I played both and thought they were the same. I never really understood how position was important, now I do. Playing limit has made me a much better player.

lapoker17 12-30-2005 05:04 PM

because i am a male.

12-30-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I can't stomach throwing 30BB into a pot and losing to a 2 outer. Thus, I play limit.
2) I can push marginal hands in limit without being force to fold a huge bluff. The highs and lows of limit seem much less extreme.

12-30-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I can't stomach throwing 30BB into a pot and losing to a 2 outer. Thus, I play limit.
2) I can push marginal hands in limit without being force to fold a huge bluff. The highs and lows of limit seem much less extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are common reasons for people not playing no-limit, and they both stem from the same cause: not being adequately bankrolled. If you're playing $25 NL w/ a $200 bankroll, losing your stack can be traumatic; if the bankroll is $1000, it's no big deal. Just a part of the game.

Why do I play No-Limit?

1. Limit bores me.

2. I enjoy the freedom of setting pot odds.

Arnfinn Madsen 12-30-2005 06:40 PM

Personally, I play limit because I have more talent in it. Limit is more about making tons of marginal decisions to try to get an edge, without any single decision being very +EV or -EV (compared to facing a push in NL). It suits me fine.

ChuckyB 12-30-2005 07:26 PM

I mainly play limit. I originally chose it because there's less danger of losing my money too fast. The swings in no-limit can be gut-wrenching. Plus, I like the strategy and math requirements of playing limit poker where you just can't bet a bunch and push your opponents out.

12-30-2005 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.

CORed 12-31-2005 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you play no limit well, it's true that the variance is lower. If you play it badly, it's high variance and -EV.

GoodTiMes 12-31-2005 03:34 AM

Limit unless very short handed is checkers, where NL is chess.
You can be a lot more creative with NL and genearally the cards don't even matter.
NL is a lot more fun, more challenging, has less variance,is less mechanical and the optimal way to go in the long run unless you are a hu limit master.

wdeadwyler 12-31-2005 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit unless very short handed is checkers, where NL is chess.
You can be a lot more creative with NL and genearally the cards don't even matter.
NL is a lot more fun, more challenging, has less variance,is less mechanical and the optimal way to go in the long run unless you are a hu limit master.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit actually is the more complicated of the two games, as you are faced with many more decisions each betting round.

That being said, I play no-limit, because I love the feeling of stacking a donkey. Limit play can be a bit boring to me at times and I like the creativity you can utilize in NL games.

Schwartzy61 12-31-2005 04:01 AM

I choose limit cash games because, for me, it is hard to call All-Ins or push All-in without the nuts. I assume this will lead to a lower EV from No Limit than I achieve in Limit.

In the end it's a big mental thing that keeps me playing limit. Maybe after I get my limit game somewhere respectable I'll start to dabble in the No Limit cash games.

12-31-2005 05:01 AM

I started only as a NL player, tried to play limit for bonus whoring, but it just isn't me. I've read SSHE and all, but limit is just frusturing and boring (IMO,I know it suites many others well). That being said, I am still a winning limit player, just not as much as what is considered good. Playing NL is fun, limit on the other hand, I have to force myself to open up the tables because that bonus is only 4 boring hours away....

Edit: I think once you start with one, it is really hard to go over to the other, at least for the majority of people.

SteveL91 12-31-2005 05:17 AM

I primarily play limit hold 'em because I'm simply not comfortable playing no-limit. Also, for whatever reason, I find no-limit rather boring. At some point, I'll make an attempt to seriously learn no-limit; I suspect a lot of my discomfort stems from the fact that I simply don't know how to properly play the game. In the mean time, I play pot-limit omaha when I feel like playing big bet poker. Oddly enough, I'm fairly comfortable playing PLO, but I can't sit at a NLHE table for much more than a few orbits.

12-31-2005 05:19 AM

It looks like we have the same problem in opposite games. Good luck to you in NL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

gabbahh 12-31-2005 08:56 AM

So to summarize:
According to some limit is more boring
According to others no limit is more boring
Some consider limit to be more difficult
Others auto play 8 limit tables
Some say limit has the highest variance
Others claim this for no limit

As far as I can tell: most play the game which suits them best and think the other game (being limit or no limit) is "worse".

Has anyone of you looked at the mathematical definition of variance? If so, can you still claim that limit has higher variance? Because I think it is not possible for a limit (fixed sized bets) betting game to have higher variance than the same mathematical game with variable bet sizes.

A 300 bb downswing in limit is pretty rare for a good player, and will take a very long time to overcome. In no limit a 300 bb "downswing" can occur in a few hands. For example getting your entire stack all in pre flop with AA and lose to JQ or crap. The same goes for upswings.
So following this line of thought combined with the formula for variance, I'd say that no limit is more swingier.

Please prove me wrong.

JTMoney42 12-31-2005 10:21 AM

Limit!

I get to value bet ace high!

12-31-2005 12:00 PM

Fixed is basicly the same as NL, though the swings are higher both direction. Results are the same depending on your skill level. (OF course I don't have any evidence to proof which one is more profitable in the long run, but I just don't beliave there to be any difference)

Limit is brains, NL is balls.

I play limit, 'cos I got castruated at the NL tables.

12-31-2005 12:20 PM

I feel like I have a lot more control at NL. And my variance is usually pretty low b/c I play quite conservatively (and it works at small stakes). However, it can get pretty boring waiting for that "action" hand, so I need to 8 table just to keep myself occupied.

Recently I haven't been doing well in limit, and thus the variance has been a biotch. However, I like the speed of 6-max limit and all the betting...but for some reason I just don't seem to have a knack for it (even though my strongest point is math). And I can't figure out if it's b/c I'm too aggressive or not aggressive enough, if I fold too much or what. I've been beating the $1/$2 6-max tables at Party, but am losing quite significantly at the $1/$2 5-max tables at PokerRoom, and am wondering if it's that much more difficult or if it's just variance.