Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Call or Raise KJo in BB to Button Open Raise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396890)

TomBrooks 12-12-2005 03:19 PM

Call or Raise KJo in BB to Button Open Raise?

2/4
1st hand, no read

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the BB
Folded to Button who raises, SB folds, Hero...

Call or Raise?

jba 12-12-2005 03:21 PM

Re: Call or Raise KJo in BB to Button Open Raise?

I mix this up, I think it's very borderline. against an unknown I lean towards a call, but it's probably like 60/40 for me.

imported_leader 12-12-2005 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mix this up, I think it's very borderline. against an unknown I lean towards a call, but it's probably like 60/40 for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter Harris 12-12-2005 04:32 PM

i call vs unknown, 3bet a lag or stealer over 40%. mixing it up is goot and something i dont do enough.

TomBrooks 12-12-2005 04:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds good. Call vs. an unknown.

I raised.

Flop, turn and river came all middle cards. Button bet all the way and I called all the way with my K high J kicker. As I was doing this I started realizing he probably had an Ace at least and I should fold. Sure enough he showed AK.

The hand made me question my preflop raise, but I'm glad to see that it is not too out of line.

Probably a bigger problem I now think was calling this down the whole way. I probably should have gone with my feeling he was on an Ace or pocket pair and given up somewhere.

jba 12-12-2005 04:57 PM

did you just give up the initiative or what? your description of the hand is missing something somewhere

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds good. Call vs. an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

that comment makes me think we're not even in the same thread

Wynton 12-12-2005 05:15 PM

First hand at a table, I just call. But I think this is partly because my personal preference is to start at a table (i.e., the first orbit or so) erring on the side of being tighter and less aggressive.

If you're going to raise, though, I think that usually requires that you continue to show some follow-up aggression on either the flop or the turn.

12-12-2005 05:19 PM

grunch..

call and auto-checkraise any flop

TomBrooks 12-12-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you just give up the initiative or what? your description of the hand is missing something somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I check/called the flop, turn and river. It looks from some responses maybe keeping up the aggession would have been better. Probably better than check/calling.