Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AQ under fire, ok to let go? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347228)

Online247 09-29-2005 09:21 PM

AQ under fire, ok to let go?

Villian is tight he's been around at least 3 orbits and has only raised 2 hands. This is the first time he has 3-bet and he doesn't appear to be a tricky player. He also hasn't taken any bad beats so he's probably not steaming.

The pot is small enought to let go right?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Amateur is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Amateur raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Amateur calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Amateur calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Amateur bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Amateur folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB.

Guruman 09-29-2005 10:31 PM

Re: AQ under fire, ok to let go?

given a legit pf three bet, I don't see many hands you're ahead of on the turn. Maybe a frisky QQ, TT or some other pp. Of course you tie AQ.

Against AA, KK, JJ, and AK you've got 4 outs and no odds.

yeah, I fold here.

gharp 09-29-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is small enought to let go right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think the pot's small enough to fold here. Call and river a T.

09-29-2005 11:38 PM

I would be making the choice between 3 betting and calling, and i think its fairly close.

I wouldnt fold here against any player.

09-30-2005 12:17 AM

Given your read, it's likely he has K-something. (What kind of hands did he raise previously?)

Still, it's close enough (You've no doubt got four Ts as clear outs, and the two remaining aces and three queens maybe as two more) to call and see the river. It is close though.

I don't even know if I fold to a river blank - this early in a session, I might be willing to pay a bet to see what he plays like this, if I think it might win (or save) me more later. But that's just me.

Aaron W. 09-30-2005 02:10 AM

Easy fold. Villain has AK very very often when he plays this way. Sometimes he'll have AA and occasionally you'll see KK. Once in a long long time, you'll fold the best hand. You don't have odds to draw to your straight and that's the only thing that can bail you out.

imported_CaseClosed326 09-30-2005 02:52 AM

I see some people saying fold. I never fold here, is it that big a problem? We have top pair top kicker heads up. I don't know...

LoaferGee12 09-30-2005 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be making the choice between 3 betting and calling, and i think its fairly close.

I wouldnt fold here against any player.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet?
This is definitely between a call-down and a fold. 3-bet really does nothing here. I'm leaning towards fold simply because it looks like he has a monster and just wanted to get tricky. Maybe 1% of the time this is just an extremely odd bluff.

LoaferGee12 09-30-2005 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your read, it's likely he has K-something. (What kind of hands did he raise previously?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think given his read, the only possible K-something hands are AK and KK. Both of these cream our hand.

istewart 09-30-2005 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see some people saying fold. I never fold here, is it that big a problem? We have top pair top kicker heads up. I don't know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He 3-bet preflop so that's around 88+, AJs+ and maybe KQs given our isolation-type preflop play. Once he check/raises the turn on an AKJ8 board he has you beat every single time -- leaving you drawing to 4 outs mostly.