Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Beginner Stud Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=25258)

Kevin J 12-02-2002 01:16 PM

Beginner Stud Question

I'm a hold'em player who is somewhat new to stud, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question which has been asked many times before on this forum.

I played some stud this weekend and couldn't settle on the best way to look at my cards Vs. keeping track of the other up cards, etc.

The approach I decided on was after the deal, I'd determine where the bring-in was. Then I made a mental note of which up cards were being discarded after the bring-in. When it was my turn to act, I'd glance at the rest of the up cards and make my decision.

It seemed like I was taking too long to act (no one complained, it just felt this way to me). In hold'em, this isn't a problem for me, since I'm proficient at the game and can quickly size up the situation and determine how I want to play my hand. In stud, this isn't the case as it takes me longer to figure out what's been discarded, how live my hand is, what's left to act behind me, what my likely position will be on 4th street, etc. etc. and finaly... What my best play is.

Again, I know this seems like a silly question to an advanced stud player, but does anyone have any advice for me on this? Thanks.

MRBAA 12-02-2002 01:24 PM

Re: Beginner Stud Question

I think you are doing the right thing. A lot of he players hate remembering the cards, but it is essential in stud. One time saver can be to quickly check your own cards. If they are not playable, you don't have to remember the other cards. But you want to be careful not to let this become a tell. You will get faster the more you practice. Roy West has some good advice on remembering cards in his book.

Kevin J 12-02-2002 02:38 PM

Thanks MRBAA. Would you have the name of that Roy West book? I'm going to be at a bookstore later today and wouldn't mind picking it up ASAP.

I wouldn't think of playing stud (or any other game) without gathering as much information as possible in order to make the most profitable decisions regarding my own hand. This means learning how best to keep track of cards. I've heard that some world class stud players have a photographic memory which allows them to know every card out. If that's what it takes to become a top-notch stud player, then I'm afraid I'll never make it. But I'm not dumb, and have decent poker skills in general. If there's a better way to keep track of cards, I'd be very interested in learning. Thanks again.

MRBAA 12-02-2002 02:50 PM

7 Card Stud, the Complete Course in Winning by Roy West

But it's not widely available in stores. You may have to order it from The Gambler's Bookstore or Cardplayer.com

patrick dicaprio 12-02-2002 05:10 PM

what he says is that you shoudl put the cards in rank order and remember them. i do it and it helps. but it is very tough when you get multiple folders on later streets. as far as looking at your cards, i also do it the way you describe.

Pat

Kevin J 12-02-2002 05:39 PM

Thanks Patrick-

At first, I tried putting them in order. I surveyed everyone's cards as they were being dealt. But this way, I was remembering cards I didn't have to because not everyone folds and their cards are right there for me to see. So I don't have to remember these cards. Also, if the 2c was dealt, many times the bring-in was completed and people would start folding before the last up card was dealt and I'd miss what these cards were. This is why I decided on simply looking for the bring-in and going from there. The problem with this is when someone folds their up card out of turn, I have no idea what it was.

I know this is pretty basic stuff and to be honest, I probably shouldn't have been playing in this game. $50-$100 is NOT the place to learn such basic things, but it was a H.O.S.E game and like I said, I'm primarily a hold'em player.

Dynasty 12-02-2002 11:50 PM

In stud, I look at my cards immediately and then scan the upcards to determine how live my hand is.

In hold'em, I wait until it is my turn to act before I look at my cards.

MRBAA 12-03-2002 10:50 AM

I think that's the way to do it. I try to put all the door cards in order in my mind, then subtract the ones that DON'T fold (don't need to remember those, they are still on the table).

Fraubump 12-04-2002 03:51 AM

Is it kosher to just write everything down in a notebook?

Can you take notes at the table?

J_V 12-04-2002 04:46 AM

Good luck in stud. You'll find that poker is poker. The same concepts bring the money in. If you realize that Aces beats Kings and you can manage not to convince yourself otherwise, than bringing the money in most middle limit games won't be tough.