Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   He's probably just messing around...but.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352713)

MicroBob 10-07-2005 06:13 PM

He\'s probably just messing around...but....

2nd hand of the PPM V super-satellite.
(180 players, $165 buy-in, top 2 get the cruise-package worth $13.5k).

Blinds 10/15
I have KQs in MP and open-raise to 60.
The button goes all-in for 1000.

I don't know this guy from adam.
His party-handle is something like 'GambleHolic' (I changed it by a couple letters).

Naturally I fold...but I'm almost tempted because this move is just a bit on the weird side.

Then again, my last tourney was the Stars $11-rebuy last night and I had a maniac at my table going all-in with every hand in the first hour (and I kept getting hands worth trying to double-up with against 'any-two' like KQ, A4, 66, etc) so that experience perhaps messed up my persepctive.

I know there are better spots to look this guy up and it's an easy fold.
Just such an unusual move that it obviously caught my attention.

Afterthought - In the time I took to write this we have played about 10 more hands and this guy has folded EVERY single one of them (including one that was min-raised and then 7 other players cold-called except me and him).

Will be curious to see if he goes all-in like that again and is possibly playing some sort of Sklansky all-in system.
Obviously when this play happened I wasn't aware of his upcoming folding-tendencies.

runout_mick 10-07-2005 06:31 PM

Re: He\'s probably just messing around...but....

Good fold methinks. If I catch a monster, especially in a higher buy in, VERY early in a tournament (first 2 or 3 hands) I'll open push. This has the twofold benefit of both: a) appearing to be a huge fish, b) getting paid if someone calls with their AQ (it's his duty to teach the fish why not to do this).

I find that sacrificing one early oppourtunity can mean huge paydays later.

He had aces...

bugstud 10-07-2005 06:41 PM

I assume it was Gamboholic_, and I imagine it was a great fold based on what little I know

MicroBob 10-07-2005 06:47 PM

Yup.

Do we know him?

He played extremely tight after that.
Not sure he played a single hand.

Just got moved from that table.

dmk 10-07-2005 06:48 PM

if it was gamboholic_ you were crushed. if it wasn't, there's a 95% you were crushed. don't overthink yourself here.

dmk 10-07-2005 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup.

Do we know him?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's primarily an SNG player i think. won 15+ wsop entries this past year. he's pretty solid.

10-07-2005 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yup.

Do we know him?

[/ QUOTE ]

she's primarily an SNG player i think. won 15+++ wsop entries this past year. she's pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

MicroBob 10-07-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't overthink yourself here.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
i'm not.

in fact, contrary to what bugstud said...I don't think this is a great laydown. it's a pretty obvious one.

If it's an expert player (as you guys indicated) then it is likely an AK that he doesn't want to miss a flop with...or he is just value-allin-ing his KK or AA and hoping that I am in the mood to roll the dice.

This is even more interesting to me now that I know it is an expert player that did this.

Seriously, I make a standard 4x raise to 60 and he goes all-in on me for 1k on the 2nd hand of the tourney??
I'm used to seeing the occasional donk do that in cheapo SNG's or something...but in a tourney like this you just don't see that everyday.

Possibly a strategy to try to build his stack as quickly as possible because of the payout structure (top 2 out of 180 get the cruise package).