Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Offensive Screen Names (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386965)

kenberman 11-28-2005 05:24 PM

Offensive Screen Names

I saw a guy w/ the screen name "AdolfHitler". you think sites should allow this to happen?

TylerD 11-28-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Offensive Screen Names

I know what you mean, I saw one "GeorgeWBush".

Muisyle 11-28-2005 05:32 PM

Are you kidding me? Your screen name is one of the biggest mass murding dictators of all time! Ban him I say!

11-28-2005 05:32 PM

If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to avoid getting offended by someone's screenname then what the hell are you doing playing poker?

YoureToast 11-28-2005 05:33 PM

I agree. I think the most offensive word in the dictionary is "offensive".

bwana devil 11-28-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to avoid getting offended by someone's screenname then what the hell are you doing playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

could you please explain what one has to do w/ the other? id love to hear the convoluted logic behind this.

11-28-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

could you please explain what one has to do w/ the other? id love to hear the convoluted logic behind this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very convoluted at all. It is simple emotional control.

If you are offended by someone's screenname you are not controlling your emotions well at all. If you are not controlling your emotions well at all it is going to be difficult for you to play good poker.

YoureToast 11-28-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the statement is correct, but I sure couldn't explain why.

HopeydaFish 11-28-2005 05:45 PM

There's a poster on here whose screen-name on Party is/was "NAMBLAGambla". I laughed pretty hard the first time I saw it.

I don't get offended by screen-names, or anything else that people do online. It makes it a little more satisfying to take away their money, but that's about it.

kenberman 11-28-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very convoluted at all. It is simple emotional control.

If you are offended by someone's screenname you are not controlling your emotions well at all. If you are not controlling your emotions well at all it is going to be difficult for you to play good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm offended when people fart during my home game, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for me to play good poker.

Gunny Highway 11-28-2005 05:47 PM

I find nits who go around looking for ways to force their petty little issues on everyone much more offensive than any screen name someone could come up with.

BruinEric 11-28-2005 05:48 PM

If a screen name bothers you, it can't hurt to send an e-mail to the site expressing this.

It is in a Poker site's best interest to create an atmosphere that offends the least number of reasonable players.

If a player's name or behavior is upsetting players and they quit the session or leave the site, it will be of interest to the poker site.

Since the site is their private property, they are entitled to make the final determination on what is offensive or not.

If a Poker Site support staff is staffed primarily by persons for whom English is not the native language, or whose social knowledge is different than mine, I don't see a problem with informing them about the potential offense of screen names.

For example, there are occasionally players with cryptic "license plate style" playernames which are euphemisims for sexual acts or various body parts. I can't imagine a support team catching that when they have 10k+ players on at a time.

11-28-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm offended when people fart during my home game, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for me to play good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, if you're trying to pay bad poker...

kenberman 11-28-2005 05:50 PM

we'll see how you feel when I change my screen name to "2plus2posterGunnyHighwayhasamonsterstickuphis ass"

Gunny Highway 11-28-2005 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we'll see how you feel when I change my screen name to "2plus2posterGunnyHighwayhasamonsterstickuphis ass"

[/ QUOTE ]

feel free. the irony would be pretty humorous.

11-28-2005 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, if you're trying to pay bad poker...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit, you beat me.

bwana devil 11-28-2005 05:52 PM

ok, youve actually made a good point.

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

11-28-2005 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down and w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect them to do some pruning as well but I am not about to expend one speck of energy worrying about how someone else wants to present themselves.

Muisyle 11-28-2005 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down and w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should report you for having "Devil" in your name, that is very offensive to me.

BruinEric 11-28-2005 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should report you for having "Devil" in your name, that is very offensive to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your point is, "different people are offended by different things," no one disagrees with you. It is likely that site management here has deleted or modify some screennames. It appears "devil" meets their standards, though I think it within your rights to PM a moderator with your complaint.

The obvious solution is that the site owners are the final determinant of suitability. It is their property, and if they don't like the word "BRUIN," they are free to ask me to change my handle.

Private property rights on the Internet are expansive, and this is almost always good IMHO.

If a Poker site is offended by say...cow references at their site, I am more than willing to comply with their wishes. If I don't like their decisions, players can take play elsewhere or start their own poker site.

11-28-2005 06:11 PM

I prefer defensive screen names.

tubalkain 11-28-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a guy w/ the screen name "AdolfHitler". you think sites should allow this to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw "mEroFxeSlanA" on the Party skins.

kenberman 11-28-2005 06:17 PM

I have no idea what means.

ckmo 11-28-2005 06:18 PM

I'm glad I don't spend my life worrying about petty things....is it really worth it? You're on there to play poker right...avatars/names/etc mean nothing in the end.

11-28-2005 06:22 PM

Most sites have rules against offensive screen names. If it bothers you, email them about it. They'll probably ask that the player change his or her name.

Even though you're playing against adults, most sites use some sort of filtering software to block offensive chat (kind of silly imo as long as words aren't being used as verbal abuse). If a screen name slips by that would otherwise violate a site's standards (even the spirit of their standards) , it hurts nothing to let them know about it (it's their business decision afterall). If adolf doesn't like it he can crawl back into hell where he belongs.

primetime32 11-28-2005 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what means.

[/ QUOTE ]

read it backwards.

FishNChips 11-28-2005 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill still expect a poker site to censor some names. i could care less about four letter words. but if i sat down w/ "BinLaden_was_right" or something ill send an email to support and express that im upset that someone is using the screenname.

[/ QUOTE ]

so to you, using a "four letter word" that is generally accepted as "bad" and are in fact blocked from the chat functions of most sites is less offensive than the free expression of a thought that you disagree with?

So what if someone has Bin_Laden_was_right or AdolfHitler? Perhaps that person believes that BinLaden was right or that Hitler is someone to be looked up to. Clearly you disagree and for the record so do I, but I wouldn't want to prevent them from expressing that opinion (no matter how minutely).

I don't think that any screen names are offensive. The ones that piss me off are the ones like "LoosePassiveFish" when the guy clearly is a TAG because the SOB subconciously puts it in my head that he is a LoosePassiveFish before I even see a hand against him and it costs me money. Now that, is offensive!

FishNChips

bwana devil 11-28-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so to you, using a "four letter word" that is generally accepted as "bad" and are in fact blocked from the chat functions of most sites is less offensive than the free expression of a thought that you disagree with?

So what if someone has Bin_Laden_was_right or AdolfHitler? Perhaps that person believes that BinLaden was right or that Hitler is someone to be looked up to. Clearly you disagree and for the record so do I, but I wouldn't want to prevent them from expressing that opinion (no matter how minutely).

I don't think that any screen names are offensive. The ones that piss me off are the ones like "LoosePassiveFish" when the guy clearly is a TAG because the SOB subconciously puts it in my head that he is a LoosePassiveFish before I even see a hand against him and it costs me money. Now that, is offensive!

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

no, curse words which are banned arent offensive to me.

racist slurs, nazi references and 9-11 disaster references are offensive to me . i dont want to see them. im a member of the ACLU so dont make this some ridiculous argument about freedom of expression.

Gunny Highway 11-28-2005 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im a member of the ACLU so dont make this some ridiculous argument about freedom of expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know you're a hypocrite as well as a moron.

FishNChips 11-28-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

racist slurs, nazi references and 9-11 disaster references are offensive to me . i dont want to see them. im a member of the ACLU so dont make this some ridiculous argument about freedom of expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

never mind... you're right and I'm wrong. Your ACLU membership makes that abundantly clear.

bwana devil 11-28-2005 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im a member of the ACLU so dont make this some ridiculous argument about freedom of expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think that's bad, you should read my poker advice.

dismissed, soldier.

bwana devil 11-28-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

never mind... you're right and I'm wrong. Your ACLU membership makes that abundantly clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

good thing youre basing your sarcastic comment on my ACLU affiliation rather than my arguement. i guess i know what offends you.

bwana

Gunny Highway 11-28-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think that's bad, you should read my poker advice.

dismissed, Marine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played, sir.... and FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NLSoldier 11-28-2005 09:29 PM

damn i was hoping to see my screenname come up in this thread

11-28-2005 09:39 PM

I don't know why anyone gets offended by anything that's not personal. My grandparents are the only survivors of two very large families that were taken from Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. I think AdolfHitler's a funny screen name, and I think that people who get offended by these sort of things haven't thought much about why they choose to live life, etc.

11-28-2005 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why anyone gets offended by anything that's not personal. My grandparents are the only survivors of two very large families that were taken from Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. I think AdolfHitler's a funny screen name, and I think that people who get offended by these sort of things haven't thought much about why they choose to live life, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're too busy being offended.

Sponger15SB 11-29-2005 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
damn i was hoping to see my screenname come up in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has been mentioned.

muahahahahaaa

rchandra 11-29-2005 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that people who get offended by these sort of things haven't thought much about why they choose to live life, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're too busy being offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like (and may have been) a wiseass quip but it's quite literally true. These people don't think. OK, so somebody's name is AdolfHitler. It could be his real name. Or he could be a Nazi. But seeing the words shouldn't offend you. If they did, you'd have to avoid encyclopedias, as well as any well-written Holocaust articles. "BinLaden_was_right". Maybe in 20 years, most people will think that, as the USA destroys all their homes. Or (more likely) he will remain vilified in all hearts, except Mr. BinLaden_was_right who's still enjoying poker and cleaning up at 2-7 holdem. Or (even more likely) BinLaden_was_right is a person reading this thread who decided he wanted to offend people that don't think. It really is freedom of expression, and let him have whatever name he wants.

I certainly don't care if somebody says "[censored] it, let's gamble", unlike the WSOP folks. I do care (somewhat) if somebody says "[censored] you you [censored]" and I consider "F you you A-hole" to be equivalent -- it's the meaning, not the characters. Characters mean nothing in and of themselves.

scotty34 11-29-2005 02:48 AM

There was a poster on here (I believe it was Fuji) who had a name along the lines of iHAVEbigTITS or something. Someone complained about that, and he was forced to change it.

11-29-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:

That sounds like (and may have been) a wiseass quip but it's quite literally true.
That was the genius of it.