Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Getting frustrated with the money I make (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406151)

Focused 12-27-2005 08:20 PM

Getting frustrated with the money I make

I seem to be a subsistance poker player. Every month I make my profit and it goes on rent, bills, car etc. I don't seem to be getting ahead. I'm not able to move up in money level and so increase my profits.
I was wondering are there other people like me and how they have managed. I can't/don't want to get credit. I play $10/$20 sng's and feel my game is upto moving up but don't want to bust my bankroll as it's my living money.
I was also wondering if money games would be more profitable. I am proud of making a living from poker, but at the moment it's a small one and it's irritating reading articles about other guys making a very (comforatble) living. Cheers.

sofere 12-27-2005 08:26 PM

Re: Getting frustrated with the money I make

Ugh...gotta be brutal making a living at the $10s and 20s

Try getting a "real job." This way poker is more of a supplemental income and you'll feel more comfortable trying to move up in limits. Then when you're at a limit you feel comfortable with and feel like you can make enough to live on...quit.

Who knows you may get lucky and find a real job that you enjoy as much or more than poker.

caretaker1 12-27-2005 08:29 PM

Play more games?

citanul 12-27-2005 08:29 PM

if you can't build your bankroll from scratch while "playing for a living" you either shouldn't be doing it because your real life is too expensive or aren't serious enough about it to do it.

c

ilya 12-27-2005 08:39 PM

I played $20s for a living for a long time and had the same problem as you. I would try to play enough every month to set money aside for moving up, but I would let real life get in the way and I would only end up making a little extra. My bankroll was growing, but too slowly. Then this fall I decided to sacrifice several months of my social life to XXXtreme bankroll-building, on the theory that once I was able to move up to the $50s, I would make enough money playing reasonable hours to let me have a life while still building my roll. After 2 months of hardcore playing, I reached my goal and moved up. Then disaster struck and I had to move down again, but if it hadn't been for my hard work during those 2 months, the disaster would have bankrupted me altogether. Now, I know that after just a couple more months I can be back where I was. I have done it once & know I can do it again.

So, my point is...if you're serious about this, make a plan & stick to it. Play a lot more than usual for a couple of months. After a while, what once seemed like an insanely challenging work schedule will come to seem quite feasible. If you're persistent & diligent, and you really have the skill to beat higher games, you will be on your way in just a few months.

Best of luck & happy holidays. See you on the leaderboard!

Ilya

Jbrochu 12-27-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every month I make my profit and it goes on rent, bills, car etc. I don't seem to be getting ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like my life story working a regular job. Be thankful that at least you can make your own hours and don't have to take orders from some jerk like me.

pooh74 12-27-2005 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every month I make my profit and it goes on rent, bills, car etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I play $10/$20 sng's

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to move

Mr_J 12-27-2005 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh...gotta be brutal making a living at the $10s and 20s

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he's young.

[ QUOTE ]
This way poker is more of a supplemental income

[/ QUOTE ]

Only to people who don't play full-time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

OP, work more, add more tables or spend less.

tshort 12-27-2005 09:04 PM

Ask your parents to pay your rent.

greenroom1 12-27-2005 09:18 PM

if you can play 5 tables you can make 10 bucks an hour.