Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Collecting on a stake gone bad (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369924)

Reef 11-01-2005 07:59 PM

Collecting on a stake gone bad

What are my options in terms of collecting a debt from someone I staked who is avoiding me?

I have a written contract in which he agrees to pay me back $X and also keep in contact with me. He has broken the contract. I have his name, know what school he attended last year, address as of a couple months ago (which may or may not be current), various screen shots.

Do I get a collections lawyer? Hire an investigator to find where he lives now?

addickt 11-01-2005 08:05 PM

Re: Collecting on a stake gone bad

There is no way it will hold up...

It undoubtedly will violate many Uniform Commercial Code contract law statutes that will nullify it.

Good luck

jman220 11-01-2005 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It undoubtedly will violate many Uniform Commercial Code contract law statutes that will nullify it.

Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a multitude of reasons why this contract will almost certainly not hold up. Sorry for your loss.

Reef 11-01-2005 08:08 PM

Guess I will either:

1) Have to collect the debt the old fashioned way

2) wait until online poker becomes legal

and let the forums know who this guy is...
?

jman220 11-01-2005 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess I will either:

1) Have to collect the debt the old fashioned way

2) wait until online poker becomes legal

and let the forums know who this guy is...
?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt that even if online poker was legal, or if you made up a "contract" for a staking arrangement in Las Vegas for B & M play, that any court would enforce it.

theben 11-01-2005 08:11 PM

"I have his name, know what school he attended last year, address as of a couple months ago (which may or may not be current), "

i think you know what you must do

Reef 11-01-2005 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a multitude of reasons why this contract will almost certainly not hold up. Sorry for your loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't even be able to take it to small claims court ?doh

jman220 11-01-2005 08:13 PM

I'm actually confused by what you mean when you say "stake." Usually when someone stakes a player and they lose, they owe nothing, and you're just collecting if they win. Did you just "lend" him the money, and want it paid back?

Reef 11-01-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I have his name, know what school he attended last year, address as of a couple months ago (which may or may not be current), "

i think you know what you must do

[/ QUOTE ]

hoped it wouldn't have to get to that

Reef 11-01-2005 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually confused by what you mean when you say "stake." Usually when someone stakes a player and they lose, they owe nothing, and you're just collecting if they win. Did you just "lend" him the money, and want it paid back?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was, in essence, lent- to be paid back with $Y return. All of which was made clear in the contract