Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Proper Job Interview attire (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366041)

BoogerFace 10-26-2005 04:48 PM

Proper Job Interview attire

I've got a job interview tomorrow. Is a suit and tie standard these days or too dressy? I hate the business casual concept.

Currently I'm a software engineer at a small OEM, my interview is for a large hardware company.

p.s. I hate job interviews. So much so that it's been 8 years since my last one.

Crimson 10-26-2005 04:49 PM

Re: Proper Job Interview attire

Yeah. Suit and Tie = very important.

stabn 10-26-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Suit and Tie = very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the software industry this really depends on the company. If you don't know better and can't find out then i agree. However a suit is almost always overkill in this industry.

jnalpak 10-26-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate the business casual concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only AFTER you get the job

Suit & Tie is mandatory Good Luck!

B Dids 10-26-2005 04:55 PM

I had this debate a while back wrt people I interviewed.

One girl was dressed normally, professionaly.

The other girl was in an outfit that while mostly professional, the top was sleevless and a little risque (it would have worked with a blazer, but wouldn't have been out of place in a club either). Now I don't mind, and both were dress comparativly nicer than I was, but it did tilt my perception of the 2nd girl.

Not because I judge people specifically on how they're dressed, but because dressing like that calls into question the thought process that the person employeed in preparing for the interview.

Basically the first person went with the option that likely had no negatives, the second went with an option that while is likely totally acceptable, depending on the audience could bring negatives, which is something I might consider when judging two closely qualified candidates. Simply because by my mind one person was likely to have employed better logic than the other.

(now in this case there were other factors that swung the hire, but I was just thinking about this after the fact, mostly because that girl's choice of apparel did strike me as an unwise one).

So the short answer is: Don't [censored] around, people will likely judge you and you'll never go wrong by dressing up.

stabn 10-26-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate the business casual concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only AFTER you get the job

Suit & Tie is mandatory Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is the safe bet it is not true.

10-26-2005 04:59 PM

Always better to overdress for an interview. Also, better to be overly professional in your behavior, if the interviewer shows that he has a sense of humor show that you do too, but don't over do it. Make sure to smile and maintain eye contact throughout. Also, bring several copies of your resume, don't assume they have a copy.

Rduke55 10-26-2005 05:01 PM

Hard hat. Thong.

(Seriously, go with the suit and tie).

MonkeeMan 10-26-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always better to overdress for an interview. Also, better to be overly professional in your behavior, if the interviewer shows that he has a sense of humor show that you do too, but don't over do it. Make sure to smile and maintain eye contact throughout. Also, bring several copies of your resume, don't assume they have a copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

good stuff

rohjoh 10-26-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
large hardware company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes a big difference who the hardware company is, and in what part of the country. For example if it is IBM then a suit and tie is the answer, if it is Sun, or Cisco then a nice dress shirt and slcks is fine.