Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Moving to Washington, career advice needed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349738)

Riverman 10-03-2005 06:35 PM

Moving to Washington, career advice needed

So the fiance and I have decided to move to Washington. I just graduated college with a 3.2 from PU. Now I need a job.

Most desired line of work would be in politics, preferably in a congressional office (yes I know I will be doing boring stuff and be paid poorly). I am also interested in working at a law firm as I plan on going to law school in '07.

How do I go about getting a job. It seems a stupid question but I honestly dont know as Ive never had one. I have a decent resume put together by a friend who works in HR. Any advice appreciated.

stabn 10-03-2005 06:37 PM

Re: Moving to Washington, career advice needed

[censored] dc.

STLantny 10-03-2005 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the fiance and I have decided to move to Washington. I just graduated college with a 3.2 from PU. Now I need a job.

Most desired line of work would be in politics, preferably in a congressional office (yes I know I will be doing boring stuff and be paid poorly). I am also interested in working at a law firm as I plan on going to law school in '07.

How do I go about getting a job. It seems a stupid question but I honestly dont know as Ive never had one. I have a decent resume put together by a friend who works in HR. Any advice appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just hit the pavement/web, and talk to as many people as you can. I had no idea what to do to get my first job, because they dont train you teh nuts and bolts of how to actually find the leads (just how to interview etc), in college. I found that monster.com, the want ads, and going to networking events, were only OK compared to going out and meeting people on your own, however you know how. If it means calling someone that you havent talked to in awhile, or calling someone not necassarily in DC, but that can put you in touch with someone actually in DC, then do it.

4_2_it 10-03-2005 06:51 PM

Get in touch with your current US Rep. Politics is all about who you know and knowing someone who can introduce you. Start with your local Rep, hopefully someone you know (family, friends, professor) can make an introduction or write a letter of recommendation.

Surely PU has some type of placement program, use it. Otherwise, good luck pounding the pavement!

renodoc 10-03-2005 06:51 PM

Blow someone in power?

sorry, couldn't resist.

B Dids 10-03-2005 07:00 PM

As a resident of Washington state- I really hate it when people don't say "Washington, D.C." as if we should just assume it's that fucksteak immitation city and not our fantastic state.

stabn 10-03-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a resident of Washington state- I really hate it when people don't say "Washington, D.C." as if we should just assume it's that fucksteak immitation city and not our fantastic state.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why i said [censored] dc.

mason55 10-03-2005 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] dc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i live in dc and agree. getting out of here as soon as possible.

scrub 10-03-2005 07:30 PM

Shouldn't a certain online blackjack pro be able to help you out with this?

scrub

Riverman 10-03-2005 08:54 PM

Incredibly, the online blackjack pro in question landed a job at Goldman in New York. Go Figure.