Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you play this river? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=389143)

iceman5 12-01-2005 12:21 PM

How do you play this river?

$2/$5 NL..Live game.

I just sat down with my $500. Ive watched 3 hands. I raise to $20 with AK of hearts. BB calls. Hes got about $400 or so and looks like an idiot. Covered with tatoos.

Pot $40. Flop AT4 with one heart. He leads for $20 and I call.

Pot $80. Turn 6. he bets $20 and I raise to $70 which he calls.

Pot $220. River 3h. How do you play these 3 scenarios?

1) He checks (most likely)
2) He bets $100
3) He bets $5...lol...this is what he actually did.

AZK 12-01-2005 12:36 PM

Re: How do you play this river?

1) v. bet
2) call
3) v. raise

FoxwoodsFiend 12-01-2005 12:39 PM

5 dollars into that pot is a check. I would play it the same way-that is, raise to $175

iceman5 12-01-2005 12:44 PM

Thanks AZK. Can you be a little more specific with #1 and #3?...lol

FF...$175 seems high to me. I cant see him calling that with Ax which is what I think he has....(unless he hit his kicker, in which case I lose of course).

I value raised to $50 which I know is light, but I wanted a call.

His $5 means nothing in terms of the pot size, but you dont think it means something different than an actual check? I mean, why bet $5 instead of checking? Does he want me to raise? Or is he just an idiot and doesnt know what he doing?

thatpfunk 12-01-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks AZK. Can you be a little more specific with #1 and #3?...lol

FF...$175 seems high to me. I cant see him calling that with Ax which is what I think he has....(unless he hit his kicker, in which case I lose of course).

I value raised to $50 which I know is light, but I wanted a call.

His $5 means nothing in terms of the pot size, but you dont think it means something different than an actual check? I mean, why bet $5 instead of checking? Does he want me to raise? Or is he just an idiot and doesnt know what he doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live players play a little differently iceman. You can usually value bet larger; the raise is a stack of checks, not a $ figure in front of them.

He often will call, and I think you probably could have value-bet him much stronger throughout the hand.

flawless_victory 12-01-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, why bet $5 instead of checking?

[/ QUOTE ]
he is scared and doesnt want you to bet too much. he is trying to stop u, dontr be stopped.
i like 100-140 more here to squeeze some value, pot raise he is obviously folding...

flawless_victory 12-01-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, why bet $5 instead of checking?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he is scared and doesnt want you to bet too much. he is trying to stop u, dontr be stopped.
i like 100-140 more here to squeeze some value, pot raise he is obviously folding...

iceman5 12-01-2005 02:25 PM

I raised the river to $50 and he folded.

Leptyne 12-01-2005 02:55 PM

1. Bet ~$250 overbet, looks more like a steal.
2. Make it $300 to go
3. Ignore his bet. See No. 1. Would this be a "post oak" bet? I've seen this online and have never understood the purpose.

PokerForMath 12-03-2005 05:20 PM

Given the way this went and the fact that you didn't raise the flop, you have no idea what he has. He made a small bet on the flop and I think your free card on the flop may have given him a set or two pair. Without knowing the player he could be an idiot with Ax or have just made two pair.

I would call the river or check behind in all cases, or if there was a more specific read I might raise a little and then fold to a re-raise.