Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Pump you Up (Pushups) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=270728)

RicktheRuler 06-11-2005 04:23 PM

Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
20 is lots!

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, I am concerned for the physcial health of some of you guys now.

RicktheRuler 06-11-2005 04:25 PM

If you do enough resistance training on a given muscle (except abs and maybe biceps) you should only need to train that muscle 1-3 time per week depending on you level of fitness.

brassnuts 06-11-2005 04:26 PM

I just did 54. And, I weight 245 pounds. RAAWR.

TBag 06-11-2005 04:28 PM

Good lord. Rawr indeed.

I did 20 at 145...

Cubswin 06-11-2005 04:29 PM

Add in a lady and this exercise can be even better... as previously stated 'form' should be your top priority. I bet most OOTers will be spent after 20 push-ups.

cubs

Glenn 06-11-2005 04:31 PM

That's just because you only have to move 3 inches before your boobs touch the ground.

Stuey 06-11-2005 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as important as increasing the number you do is making sure that you're doing them correctly (straight back, breaking parallel). I think a lot of people will overlook this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. And it is why the number is not the important part. It is the amount of improvement.

If you can only do 5 standing pushups against a wall there is nothing wrong with that. And in 1 week you can do 10 I bet. After 3 weeks you will be doing knee pushups with ease.

Try and do them with good form so you don't hurt yourself. But it is ok if you cheat a little on form to get a extra rep or 2.

At the end of the week we just report how many more we can do.

Burt Reynolds 06-11-2005 05:05 PM

I over trained in high school to the point that I was 10 push ups away from setting the Freshman push up record. I did about 90 something at one time. We weren't doing those half-assed ones. We were doing legit, all the way up, all the way down push ups and there was a guy there making sure they were legit.

After I overtrained, my muscles in my arms eventually just started giving out or something. I still have troubles with them even now. I messed up the stabilizer muscle in my arm. It's the muscle that gives you coordination and connects your shoulder to your arm. It hurt like hell. It took like 5 months to complete rehabilitate. I couldn't even shift my car and I was pissed that I had a stick-shift.

Anyway, don't overdo it. Do about 3 sets but don't train every night !! LIke I did. Take a day off in between.

-Skeme- 06-11-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I over trained in high school to the point that I was 10 push ups away from setting the Freshman push up record. I did about 90 something at one time. We weren't doing those half-assed ones. We were doing legit, all the way up, all the way down push ups and there was a guy there making sure they were legit.

After I overtrained, my muscles in my arms eventually just started giving out or something. I still have troubles with them even now. I messed up the stabilizer muscle in my arm. It's the muscle that gives you coordination and connects your shoulder to your arm. It hurt like hell. It took like 5 months to complete rehabilitate. I couldn't even shift my car and I was pissed that I had a stick-shift.

Anyway, don't overdo it. Do about 3 sets but don't train every night !! LIke I did. Take a day off in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

Logout please.

Burt Reynolds 06-11-2005 05:10 PM

why ? I'm Burt Reynolds.