Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   why all the mad swings in 6max? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=315280)

meanjean 08-14-2005 10:21 PM

why all the mad swings in 6max?

I would just like to hear everybody's ideas why the swings are so brutal at 6max. I have my ideas but I want to see if I'm on the same page as the rest of you guys.

Thanks

IGMorton 08-14-2005 10:57 PM

Re: why all the mad swings in 6max?

I think it comes down to agression level. The current trend in the HUSH forums seems to be very agressive. It is a mentaility of maintaining the initiative, control, and forcing others to play YOUR game.

I don't pound away quite as relentlessly as some here. Some might criticize me for being weakish passive-agressive. But, my swings are nowhere near as bad as other here have posted. I can only think of 1 time in the last 30,000 hands or so that i lost more than 150 BB before things started to turn in the other direction.

SUfan5 08-14-2005 11:01 PM

Variance is a bitch.

Stack 08-14-2005 11:06 PM

In a short game you may risk 4 BBs to win 4 BBs. In a full game you may risk 4 BBs to win 10 BBs. So in a full game when you win a pot, the size of the pot makes up for the number of times you lose.

The numbers are not exact...It's just an idea.

Matty 08-14-2005 11:21 PM

More marginal situations.

The other ideas in this thread don't really make any sense to me.

yanicehand 08-14-2005 11:25 PM

I wasn't under the impression that there were "ideas" and "theories" as to why there was more variance. There is more variance with fewer people playing as you are forced to play more hands than you would in a ring game, which means more marginal situations that will show a profit over 50% of the time but not always much more. When you play heads up the swings are at a maximum because of this reason.

Kyle 08-14-2005 11:27 PM

Although I dont have any data to support this. My opinion is that there is a direct correlation between the number of hands played and your SD/100. This is just a thought which I stole from one of my portfolio theory classes. If everyone has there own tolerance to risk(variance) are there possible inflection points which would define the tradeoff between # of hands played, variance and EV?

I'm not even sure how someone could even go about doing this or if it is even feasible. Sorry for the incoherent ramblings

TheMetetron 08-14-2005 11:27 PM

swings?

PokerHorse 08-14-2005 11:32 PM

your playing roughly twice as many starting hands and more hands per hour. Also when played correctly there is more 3 betting pre-flop. your profit comes from the later streets.
if you watch high limit 200-400 they can win or lose 20-50k pretty fast where as in a 9-10 handed ring game for the same size, a big win might be 10-12k.

bobbyi 08-15-2005 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The current trend in the HUSH forums seems to be very agressive. It is a mentaility of maintaining the initiative, control, and forcing others to play YOUR game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being aggressive and in control when playing shorthanded is not a "trend".