Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   stars 30/60, i am too safe = sorry? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404348)

J.Brown 12-23-2005 11:10 PM

stars 30/60, i am too safe = sorry?

Sit in the BB first hand, get the 2 Black Aces.

raised in mp, someone i have never seen.

i three bet. he calls.

flop K 5 3 rainbow.

i lead, get raised, three bet, he caps, i call.

turn J (no suits), i lead, he raises, i call (?)

river 5, i lead, he raises, i call (?)

the reason for my question this line is that it has seemed to come up quite a bit lately.

i have a big hand, most likely the best hand, i have no problems with aggression, but............

it seems as though i may be being a touch to safe in spots and not extracting the maximum.

all thoughts and comments appreciated, i know this is a fine line.

cheers. J.

12-23-2005 11:26 PM

Re: stars 30/60, i am too safe = sorry?

Why do you not 3-bet the turn, yet donkbet the river? This seems inconsistent to me.

partygirluk 12-23-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you not 3-bet the turn, yet donkbet the river? This seems inconsistent to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He just outdrew KJ. Furthermore this is the only way of guaranteeing

i) Getting to showdown
ii) Putting at least 3 bets in on turn and river.
iii) Putting at most 4 bets in on turn and river.

J.Brown 12-23-2005 11:33 PM

i now beat KJ.

that was one of the reasons, but not the only one.

i don't think i played this hand well, and yes i should have 3 bet the turn, no argument there.

i didn't think that it was a donkbet on the river though, this is limit and i was pissed about not 3 betting the turn and didn't want to compound the error by having him check behind me on the river.

thoughts?

12-24-2005 01:05 AM

you now beat KJ, 3 betting the turn is pretty big, then he 3 bets, you call, and c/r the river. i dont like bet/3 betting the river because if he caps, then how you feeling? you fail to say how many ppl start the hand, if is a full table, or short handed? i dont see a reason to see him as having anything else, but ive seen ppl call a 3 bet with JJ, and play as if hes spiked that set on the turn... i like a c/r the river and a 3 bet the turn...

J.Brown 12-24-2005 01:45 AM

full table.

yes i agree with your line.

he would have capped the turn, still try and c/r the river?

flawless_victory 12-24-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
full table.

yes i agree with your line.

he would have capped the turn, still try and c/r the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
jesus, christ man, threebetting the turn is dumb and calling a cap is prob wrong, and checkraising the river... WTF?
preflop flop u said I HAVE POCKET ACES, he keeps raising... checkraising the river would be totally psychotic... how could that be right?
i like the way you played every street, but if anything u gave too much action... a good player would never ever raise the river with something u beat, so so obvious what u have and no1 folds. because the pot is big and u dont know him i agree with the crying call, but i cant see how u want to put in more action.

J.Brown 12-24-2005 05:27 AM

ok, you got me, i could never check raise the river.

when i agree "with his line" i meant 3 betting the turn.

i don't mind my river bet, but you are correct i am not sure if 3 betting there could ever be right, it just sorta turned out this guy wasn't much of a player.

you are outlining the small, but significant problem i have been running into.....
not quite squeezing out enough when i have the best of it all of the time and then feeling bad later.

i think i get 4 total big bets, on the turn and river, in this hand almost no matter how i play it, but i am trying to figure a better line overall when similar situations occur.

thanks for your input. J.

SpaceAce 12-24-2005 06:52 AM

I can't believe all this "three-bet the turn" stuff. Are you guys really that angry at your money? You three-bet pre-flop, bet/raise/call a cap on a nearly drawless King-high flop, lead into the capper on a Jack turn and get raised and now you want to give more action to a completely unknown player? I am definitely not three-betting this turn without a good reason, and "I have Aces" doesn't qualify in my opinion.

SpaceAce

J.Brown 12-24-2005 07:12 AM

maybe i played it better than i thought in the first place, but i am not convinced yet...............J.