Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   playing while traveling in another country (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=209930)

mj2 03-09-2005 07:52 AM

playing while traveling in another country

In April I will be traveling to Barbados for 2 weeks. What type of laptop and setup would I need to play while i'm there?

RPMick 03-09-2005 08:28 AM

Re: playing while traveling in another country

The internet is the same all over the world.

-Ryan

Frequitude 03-09-2005 08:35 AM

...I would imagine one that connects to the internet down there. Sarcasm aside, I don't really know what kind of answer you expect.

Regardless, your poker site of choice and/or Neteller may give you some troubles because they can see where you are from your IP. I am from Canada, but I am currently living in Austria for a year. I had to jump through some hoops with the Party network to prove that I was who I was, and I can't hook up Neteller to my Canadian bank account because I am out of the country.

However, I didn't start playing until I got over here, so everything got registered to my Canadian address from Austria. Maybe that is different than your case which is just going away for a couple weeks.

I wonder if they have wireless access on the beach down there!

mj2 03-09-2005 11:31 PM

what i meant was that i've always played on a desktop. i don't have a laptop yet. i don't know anything about wireless internet connections. do you have to have a special internet provider? i know these questions sound very stupid to someone who has been using a laptap for awhile.

_2000Flushes 03-10-2005 12:49 AM

Just make sure that your laptop has a wireless card. When you turn on your laptop in a place that claims to offer a wireless connection, Windows may just connect you automatically. If not, then ask for help from the appropriate person (hotel registration, coffee shop employee, etc.). It also wouldn't hurt to take a nice long ethernet cable in case your hotel room has an ethernet outlet 15' from the bed.

-2kF

mj2 03-10-2005 01:15 AM

Okay. So you have to actually be somewhere such as an internet cafe or other place that offers it? I thought it was through your own service provider. I thought i've heard of some people playing at the beach or a bar or airport, etc? Also, any recommendations on laptops specifically for poker?

_2000Flushes 03-10-2005 01:53 AM

Cell phone carriers are starting to offer wireless access where you can use a cell phone, but that can be expensive and I wouldn't count on that working in Barbados. Most airports have wireless, and a lot of bars do too. Internet cafes are generally places that resemble public computer labs. But many places that exist without the Internet (i.e. restaurants, bars, airports, coffee shops, bookstores, libraries) are installing wireless signals to attract customers with laptops. Most major hotels offer a wireless signal in the lobby hardline ethernet connections in the rooms, but make sure you ask beforehand.

-2kF