Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Do You Ever Worry About a Better Two-Card Flush? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407207)

12-29-2005 04:20 PM

Do You Ever Worry About a Better Two-Card Flush?

Early in a $15 tournament. I've seen nothing but loose, straight forward play so far- people limping, checking, calling with marginal hands or draws and betting or raising strong made hands. I may appear a bit aggressive, as I've played a few hands aggressively and won without a showdown. The only hand I've showndown is AK that made top pair on the flop and top two on the turn.

Everyone else in this hand has ~1200, their starting chips. I have ~2800, blinds are 10/20. Three limpers, I limp T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB, BB checks.

T100 in pot, flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I bet 50, BB folds, all the limpers call. I am happy building a pot right now, and would love to see a raise after I get a few calls- I want as many people in this hand as possible. I don't put it past anyone to be calling with just overcards, which means at least two of their 'outs' are dirty. Same for anyone playing a straight draw.

T300 in pot, turn is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet 200, once again get three callers. At this point, I would expect overcards to fold. I start to think it is very likely someone else has a flush draw, though of course a worse one than mine is possible.

T1100 in pot, river is J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. What's my play here? The others all have ~900 left, I have ~2500. I believe someone else has a flush that may or may not be better than mine. A push will probably be called only by another flush.

Just so we're clear, I'm not considering folding, I'm just wondering how I can get the most money in the pot from hands I'm ahead of and whether I should be concerned about limiting my losses against a better flush. Should I weak lead and call a raise (or push over a raise)? Check-call? Check-raise all-in? Push?

Exitonly 12-29-2005 04:24 PM

Re: Do You Ever Worry About a Better Two-Card Flush?

nah im' not worried, i bet 350 and call a push.

ansky451 12-29-2005 04:28 PM

If you were all deeper you'd definitely have something to worry about. Here, you can't get away from a flush given the stack sizes.

Lloyd 12-29-2005 04:34 PM

Interesting flop with the flush and gutshot draw. You're up against 4 opponents and lead for 1/2 the pot. Draw! Draw! Draw! Pretty obvious. A good opponent should raise you here. With your stack I don't mind leading out although I don't think that would be my norm. If I did lead out I'd pot it. Represent a pair and if you hit your draw you can check and be perhaps a little tricky. By betting 1/2 the pot, checking again screams that you've hit your draw. Obviously another option is check-raising but I prefer check-call and leading out the turn, even if I miss. One thing is for certain, you've got lots of outs, plenty of chips, and can play this fairly aggressively.

If you are certain you're up against another flush I'd check-call the river. Obviously there's a greater chance you're up against a bigger flush then a smaller one so check-calling might save you a few chips when you're behind.

Solitare 12-29-2005 04:36 PM

Given that you have the others covered by a substantial amount, I would not be worried too much by a higher flush. If it happens, at least you are still alive.

I'd bet out t300, hoping to get a weak call by one of the limpers with something like an A6 or KJ.

If one of the limpers goes all-in, I'd semi-reluctantly call and hope to see a lower flush or the KJ. If two of the limpers go all-in, I would give strong consideration to folding, although the pot odds might dictate a call.

Dan Mezick 12-29-2005 05:44 PM

I'm slowing way down and playing cautiously-- I'm holding the non-nut flush where the 10, Q K and A of diamonds all have me beat. And multiple callers are still in this pot.

And dont most of them have position on me? OK. If you slow down and check- call a small bet and win with this, you're having a very good day.

I just never want to be in a spot where I am getting alot of my money in completely dead.

And that is a very real possibility in this situation.

[ QUOTE ]
...I should be concerned about limiting my losses against a better flush.

[/ QUOTE ]