Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   home theater speaker wire? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407836)

mostsmooth 12-31-2005 04:42 PM

Re: home theater speaker wire?

[ QUOTE ]
buy decent wires for a decent system. for a top end one buy top end cables.
a stero system is like a chain. it has to all connect and the weak links compromise something.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, yeah, but thats was the point to begin with. trying to figure out if speaker wire is pretty much all the same other than the gauge and connection type, and maybe some special coating.

the_main 12-31-2005 05:33 PM

I used to sell home audio equipment and always reccomended my customers spent 10% of the home theatre budget on wires (posibly b/c i made 15% commission on all wires). Nonetheless, I do think they make a significant difference (more so for video connections then audio, but still).

It would help to know the room setup and also the size of the speakers to determine an appropriate gauge. Generally you want to have a thicker wire to carry sufficeint current to large drivers, or over long distances. I'd also reccomend you get something highly shielded to reduce any type of interference.

One thing I've learned is that sound is very subjective, and where I notice differences, many people can hear none. If you're not very anal about sound quality, save your money.

mostsmooth 12-31-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to sell home audio equipment and always reccomended my customers spent 10% of the home theatre budget on wires (posibly b/c i made 15% commission on all wires). Nonetheless, I do think they make a significant difference (more so for video connections then audio, but still).

It would help to know the room setup and also the size of the speakers to determine an appropriate gauge. Generally you want to have a thicker wire to carry sufficeint current to large drivers, or over long distances. I'd also reccomend you get something highly shielded to reduce any type of interference.

One thing I've learned is that sound is very subjective, and where I notice differences, many people can hear none. If you're not very anal about sound quality, save your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks
i guess i should have stated the original question as "is 12 gauge monster better than 12 gauge abc brand"
im probably wont notice much difference

the_main 12-31-2005 05:59 PM

Monster cable will have far better shielding and connecters then a generic brand. However, they are ridiculously overpriced. The MSRP is about twice what cost is.

It's best to buy everything at once and get the sales guy to cut you a deal... cabling was always the easiest thing to throw in for free. This is especially true if you're buying speakers, which generally have a very high mark-up as well.

Alobar 12-31-2005 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

im probably wont notice much difference

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, save your money, it isnt gunna be worth it