Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   KK - Stupidly Cautious? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407078)

12-29-2005 12:01 PM

KK - Stupidly Cautious?

I'm just gettin started in limit, and I figured might as well start at the bottom... I'm not comfortable enough playing .5/1, so I'm at the nanos [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Waitin on Neteller to clear so I can register PT and PA, and this guy's new to the table anyway. No reads. I've been solid - not that they'd notice. Anyhow...

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.02.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villian caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

KK preflop vs a capper. Alright!

Flop: (14 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villian 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

He leads. I raise. His 3-bet scares me - should it? We're at the nanos, but is he capping enough crap here - or is this AK enough - that I should cap the flop? He can have AK 8 ways (AKh for the flush draw), QQ 3 ways, JJ 3 ways, AA 4 ways and KK 1 way. Is my call right? I went into c/c mode

Turn: (10 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Yep, check/call...

River: (12 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12 BB

Was my line too cautious? What should I expect to be seen from this guy who capped preflop, and bet/raised every single street? Are my Kings gonna be good here? Also, if I decide he's probably got me beat, am I better off just folding? Probably not at the nanos, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

David04 12-29-2005 12:13 PM

Re: KK - Stupidly Cautious?

I would cap the flop, and call down if he leads the turn. If he doesn't lead the turn, bet, and call down vs a C/R.

smiely 12-29-2005 12:15 PM

Because it's .02/.04, my first instinct is for you to cap the flop and see if villain leads out on the turn. If he does, I think I call it down from there. If not, I'd bet, call a raise, and call on the river.

Now, if this was .50/1, I like your line better, since the play at .50/1 is sufficiently relatively better to make it less likely that villain is playing like a total donk.

12-29-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, if this was .50/1, I like your line better, since the play at .50/1 is sufficiently relatively better to make it less likely that villain is playing like a total donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I was worrying about this. Its .02/.04, so its a joke at times. People just like to raise - I've already noticed this. Maybe its blowing off steam, like jumping into a $5 SNG and pushing every hand. But don't I want to be playing good poker, and not really adjusting my game to suit the .02/.04 metagame - if you wanna call it that? Or, as long as I realize when I'm making a move that's contrary to what I should do at .5/1 - but I know why I'm making it (its .02/.04) - is this a good idea?

Its all about learning, right now... maximizing profit is a ways off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

lufbradolly 12-29-2005 12:21 PM

Looks fine to me.

Seen as though the villain capped preflop his range is quite small {JJ, QQ , KK, AA, AK} if he is reasonable but at this limit he probably isn't so i'm going to showdown with this.

If villain was reasonable i'd call down from his first flop bet.

smiely 12-29-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But don't I want to be playing good poker, and not really adjusting my game to suit the .02/.04 metagame - if you wanna call it that? Or, as long as I realize when I'm making a move that's contrary to what I should do at .5/1 - but I know why I'm making it (its .02/.04) - is this a good idea?

Its all about learning, right now... maximizing profit is a ways off [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just starting out, then yes, it's definitely good to be playing good poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] However, part of playing good poker is adjusting to game conditions and table texture. I know you said you were just starting out, but soon enough, you'll have the more basic strategies down and be able to concentrate more on adjusting, so I was just throwing it out there as something to keep in the back of your mind for the future. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FWIW, I started out at the PS .02/.04 a little over a year ago myself, so I'm speaking from personal experience, looking back and contrasting the differences between the different levels.

12-29-2005 12:35 PM

I see no reason to believe AQ, AQh especially, and AKh aren't in his range here. But yeah, call down, you don't beat much that 3-bets the flop. A busted flush draw and AQ are about it.

BTW, what's your screenname?

bozlax 12-29-2005 12:39 PM

This line's fine against an unknown with this kind of board.

Catsailor 12-29-2005 02:24 PM

Grunch:
I thought you played it fine. You might cap flop and see if he still leads out on turn. If so I go into call down mode. He could be FOS. At this level I've seen a lot of maniacs. If you get some showdowns on him you might get a better read. I think you are right to play good poker, but I would move up to .05/.10 or little higher asap. I think my game had to change alot after .02/.04

12-29-2005 02:32 PM

All,

Is .02/.04 really that horrendous? If so, does moving up to .05/.1 change the game enough that I can expect to gain a lot more from learning that game? I don't want to spend time applying a good skill set to .02/.04 and find out that, once i move up, the idiocy at .02/.04 has caused me to change the way I play the game.

Thoughts?