Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Fox News does a fluff piece promoting a white supremisist website (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404007)

12-23-2005 11:48 AM

Fox News does a fluff piece promoting a white supremisist website

Well Fox News's local affiliate, Fox Carolina has finally shown us how racist the culture at Fox News is.
Here is the link so you can see the it for yourself.

Fruthermore, the site, stromfront.org also hosts <a href="www.martinlutherking.org" target="_blank">this gem</a>.

Here is a post the reporter put on the stromfront message board: [ QUOTE ]
I am the reporter who did this story. For those of you who live in the FOX Carolina viewing area, I am willing to do a follow-up story to show a better make-up of the people who are members and talk more in-depth about your beliefs. THis would probably air in February. Let me know if you are interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

When asked about the story,[ QUOTE ]
[The reporter] told Think Progress that she is unsure whether or not she will be doing a follow-up piece and is waiting to hear more from the “local community.” When asked why she didn’t include some voices that were critical of StormFront, she replied she did the story exactly as she was told to and that officials at the network were very pleased with her coverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you have it, neo nazis getting free publicity, fair and balanced, sans fairness and balance.

MMMMMM 12-23-2005 01:05 PM

A Caution About Sample Size

Unfortunately, it appears that the Fox News Carolina affiliate station has removed the actual story, so we can't read it for ourselves to determine just how "racist" it may be--or if it is even "racist" at all.

As for your assertion that this shows how "racist" the culture at Fox News is, you could probably benefit from a basic understanding of logical fallacies.

Using ONE story by ONE reporter from ONE Fox affiliate station to draw conclusions about the nature of the Fox News network is clearly fallacious.

Specifically, you are employing a fallacy known as "Hasty Generalization", which falls under the category of "Unrepresentative Sample."

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/hastygen.html

All posters on this site should be aware of the potential dangers of drawing conclusions based upon insufficient sample size. Hopefully, you may find the above link useful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cardcounter0 12-23-2005 01:11 PM

Re: Fox News does a fluff piece promoting a white supremisist website

The corporate media giant that is FOX news also does "Fair and Balanced" reporting in China with the support of the communist party there.

Now as far as local listeners for this broadcast, I can hear them now:

"Yehaaww! Bout time we get some fair and balanced reporting on them Stormfront boys. Won't be hearing a story like that on that there libber-all CBS"

And the local listeners of FOX probably voted for and support the current regime ..err... Bush Administration.

FOX News knows it's audience and won't broadcast anything to upset it, only to support it (in a fair and balanced manner, of course).

cardcounter0 12-23-2005 01:13 PM

Re: A Caution About Sample Size

When James Earl Ray shot Martin Luther King, that was the first n*gger he had ever shot, so it would be hasty to conclude, due to small sample size, that he was racist.

MMMMMM 12-23-2005 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When James Earl Ray shot Martin Luther King, that was the first n*gger he had ever shot, so it would be hasty to conclude, due to small sample size, that he was racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you think of a better example than that?

12-23-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually believe James Earl never did anything else that would demonstrate his racism? C'mon, killing MLK was just his highest low point.

cardcounter0 12-23-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you actually believe James Earl never did anything else that would demonstrate his racism?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name anything? Do you know anything about him? Why would assume that he was racist, other than his sample size = 1 shooting of MLK?

bobman0330 12-23-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Fox News's local affiliate, Fox Carolina has finally shown us how racist the culture at Fox News is.
Here is the link so you can see the it for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox Carolina isn't an affiliate of Fox News, is it? It's the local affiliate of the Fox network, which also owns Fox News. Anyways, how are you projecting a piece made by 8 rednecks in a local newsroom onto an entire network? Doesn't make much sense to me.

cardcounter0 12-23-2005 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she replied she did the story exactly as she was told to and that officials at the network were very pleased with her coverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeeehaaaw! We will just ignore that part, right Billy Bob?

12-23-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you name anything? Do you know anything about him? Why would assume that he was racist, other than his sample size = 1 shooting of MLK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer my question and then I'll go do the research for you. mmmmm-kaaay?