Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Is Mankind Smart Enough? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364052)

Lestat 10-24-2005 01:35 AM

Is Mankind Smart Enough?

Imagine for a second that man has found a way off this planet and is capable of continuing to migrate throughout the universe for eternity.

Is it within man's intellectual capability to eventually arrive at a theory of everything? i.e. At the very least learn exactly what makes the universe tick?

Zygote 10-24-2005 02:02 AM

Re: Is Mankind Smart Enough?

a better question is: are we able to answer your question? my bet would be on no.

Lestat 10-24-2005 02:10 AM

I don't understand. Did I screw up the poll? I don't know how to do those. If I did, then just discuss.

My personal opinion is that it is very feasible that much of our questions regarding the universe lie outside the scope of human intelligence no matter how long we have to discover such anwsers. Am I alone?

Zygote 10-24-2005 02:19 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
My personal opinion is that it is very feasible that much of our questions regarding the universe lie outside the scope of human intelligence no matter how long we have to discover such anwsers. Am I alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. many physicists would agree with you. string theorists are one, for example.

flatline 10-24-2005 03:49 AM

We will not be able to figure everything out in our current form. However, we will eventually build super-intelligent machines that will discover anything that can be discovered.

10-24-2005 03:52 AM

and then, plausibly, decide that humans are inefficient and chaotic.

flatline 10-24-2005 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then, plausibly, decide that humans are inefficient and chaotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terminator scenarios aside, such machines are inevitable. It is only a question of time.

jester710 10-24-2005 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We will not be able to figure everything out in our current form. However, we will eventually build super-intelligent machines that will discover anything that can be discovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will this be considered evolution?

flatline 10-24-2005 04:07 AM

I think we'll have to think of some different word. I imagine Ray Kurzweil (futurist author) has already thought of something.

10-24-2005 04:17 AM

yeah, I grew up on terminator, but this really is inevitable... the only thing I think we can do about it is try to cement the "creator" thought in machine heads, because they will come to this conclusion.

wow, I hope I dont get flamed for what I just wrote.