Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Choosing not to make a continuation bet when the flop sucks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369659)

catlover 11-01-2005 01:52 PM

Choosing not to make a continuation bet when the flop sucks

On the flop I figured I was a sitting duck for anyone with a club in their hand.

On the turn I figured my opponents' checks meant they didn't have clubs, and they may have suspected me of slowplaying a flopped flush.

Comments?

Online No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($932)
UTG+1 ($535)
MP1 ($3720.30)
Hero ($1299)
MP3 ($3937)
CO ($1181)
Button ($1048.45)
SB ($995)
BB ($866.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls $30, Button calls $40, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($140) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($140) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $80</font>, CO folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: $220

BobboFitos 11-01-2005 01:54 PM

Re: Choosing not to make a continuation bet when the flop sucks

why no minraise pf [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

also, monotone boards are great to make Cbets... but yah, nice turn bet.

turnipmonster 11-01-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I figured I was a sitting duck for anyone with a club in their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems like an exaggeration to me, lots of lone clubs will fold getting 2:1 on this flop. monotone and paired flops are generally good flops to bet with overcards, depending on # of players etc.

--turnipmonster

catlover 11-01-2005 02:04 PM

No miniraise because there was a poster. With a poster, I am giving people too good odds to call my miniraise. So I need to raise more.

Thanks for the flop and turn feedback. Keep it coming.

catlover 11-01-2005 02:10 PM

How big of a Cbet are you suggesting?

flawless_victory 11-01-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big of a Cbet are you suggesting?

[/ QUOTE ]120

turnipmonster 11-01-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lots of lone clubs will fold getting 2:1

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK 11-01-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No miniraise because there was a poster. With a poster, I am giving people too good odds to call my miniraise. So I need to raise more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't see any reason to get on your case about the minraising, if you want to do it fine. But do you realize how dumb this sounds when you say you won't minraise if someone posts, but otherwise you will, what's the difference to the SB/BB or a limper if you minraise and it gets called in any spot to minraising when there is a dead blind in the center. BASICALLY NOTHING. Whenever you minraise you are giving x callers great odds against...there isn't really a difference between these two situations...

Fnord 11-01-2005 03:04 PM

Continuation bets are more a matter of what's in the other guy's hand.