Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Did I play these eights correctly? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281962)

dozer 06-28-2005 02:41 AM

Did I play these eights correctly?

The only thing I know about villain is that he is tight.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Nick C 06-28-2005 02:43 AM

Re: Did I play these eights correctly?

It looks good to me.

akvsaq 06-28-2005 03:54 AM

I would have done exactly the same. Good play.

Justin A 06-28-2005 04:31 AM

Is raising preflop out of the question in these 2/4 games? I raise this every time at 5/10 and up.

nepenthe 06-28-2005 04:39 AM

If Button had a big A and were smart, he would've called the turn.

Hmm? Oh yeah, as for your play, it's fine.

rmarotti 06-28-2005 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is raising preflop out of the question in these 2/4 games?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

halis123456789 06-28-2005 09:13 AM

That's about all I think you can do here with a marginal hand out of position.

The only other possibility would be to just call the flop and try C/R the turn IF a good card like the 5d comes.

This approach may be good b/c with this board you KNOW he's going to call your raise. He doesn't fear this board has given you a hand yet. What can you represent besides a draw or trips? Jacks or better would've been 3 bet Pre-Flop.

But if you call on the flop and then something like the 5d comes on the turn and he is facing a C/R on the expensive street with one more card to come it is much more difficult for him.

The only danger is that he will check the turn and take a free card (which is likely) but hey that's playing a marginal hand out of position. If he did check the turn and bet the river when a paint fell you still would lose 1.5 BB less than you did, but I don't know if it's really worth losing control of the hand.

dozer 06-28-2005 02:32 PM

the problem with just calling the flop and check raising the turn on a blank, is that there is still CO in the hand, and I need to protect my hand if I am ahead.

So bet folding is good on the turn? anyone here just check fold to a bet? When I bet this turn, there was a voice in my head that was saying "you are so going to get raised here" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I remember from HPFAP it say that I should bet hands with no outs if behind on the turn. Is this the correct concept to use here?

MrDannimal 06-28-2005 02:46 PM

Depends a lot on table read for me, but I don't think you'd get tomatos thrown at you for raising here.

MrDannimal 06-28-2005 02:49 PM

T9s, AT, Ah9x.

You're right, but there are non-trips made hands that would have limped from early position. It's not something you can rule out.