Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tipping Cab Drivers on Set Fares (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379121)

lu_hawk 11-15-2005 06:29 PM

Tipping Cab Drivers on Set Fares

So I take a out of city fare. Meter is off, me and the cab driver have agreed upon the fare upfront. Do I give him the exact amount we agreed upon or do I give him a few bucks extra. I've been tipping but I've been thinking that a set fare should make the tip unnecessary.

phil_ivey_fan 11-15-2005 06:48 PM

Re: Tipping Cab Drivers on Set Fares

I'd still tip.

My biggest gripe about tipping cab drivers is when its a $10ish fare (back from bars) and I hand them a $20 and they mumble something about not having change. I usually tell them the only other bill i have is a ten and that I'm not giving them the whole $20. They usually then cough up the change...like its some kind of f-ing miracle.

jba 11-15-2005 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd still tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-15-2005 07:42 PM

Not to go off on a long tipping thread, but my rule on tipping cabbies is that it totally depends on the service. If the guy does ANYTHING wrong--takes the long way, goes too easy on yellow lights, sits in the cab jabbering away in Hindi instead of loading my luggage in the trunk, keeps a dirty cab, is rude, gets lost, whatever--I zero him out on tip. OTOH, if he gets me to where I want to go, as efficiently and quickly as possible, I tip 10% of the fare including tolls. The quality of service from cabbies these days is so appallingly low, I hate tipping them for awful service.

11-15-2005 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, if he gets me to where I want to go, as efficiently and quickly as possible, I tip 10% of the fare including tolls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you go all the way up to the double digits?

11-15-2005 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, if he gets me to where I want to go, as efficiently and quickly as possible, I tip 10% of the fare including tolls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you go all the way up to the double digits?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this feels right. for an airport run its going to be 3-4 bucks to LGA, and maybe 5-6 to ewr. around town, a 10% tip will rarely exceed $1.50, which is pretty close to the result you get under the "round to the next dollar, unless < 30cents, in which case add $1 and round up" rule

tonypaladino 11-15-2005 08:52 PM

If it's a meter cab, and he's leaving the meter off, you don't have to tip him. He is not recording the fare and is keeping the whole thing instead of giving a cut to the cab company or owner.

tdp 11-15-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a meter cab, and he's leaving the meter off, you don't have to tip him. He is not recording the fare and is keeping the whole thing instead of giving a cut to the cab company or owner.

[/ QUOTE ]
In most places,cabbies don't give a cut to the company.They pay a flat daily rental fee.

KaneKungFu123 11-15-2005 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In most places,cabbies don't give a cut to the company.They pay a flat daily rental fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see how it matters. I cant think of any services that negotiate a fee and then expect a tip.

jba 11-15-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see how it matters. I cant think of any services that negotiate a fee and then expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

hookers and strippers