Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Trying to get a maniac to chill (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288875)

NYCNative 07-08-2005 12:25 PM

Trying to get a maniac to chill

I have experimented with coffe-housing the table maniac-bully-position raiser by pointing out the cards he is raising with. I have found that the simple comment of something like, "Huh, raising with Q9o? Creative!" or "Wow, you must get good cards when you've got the button because this is the fifth time in a row you raised or reraised" tends to get villain to chill out. Is this just a small sample size or is this a good strategy in general?

ChicagoTroy 07-08-2005 12:28 PM

Re: Trying to get a maniac to chill

Why on earth would you want him to make fewer mistakes?

WhiteWolf 07-08-2005 12:30 PM

Why do you want to do this? Getting a loose player to tighten up does not sound like a winning strategy to me. You should instead adjust your game to take advantage of his bad plays.

mosdef 07-08-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want to do this? Getting a loose player to tighten up does not sound like a winning strategy to me. You should instead adjust your game to take advantage of his bad plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, in the late stages of a SNG when the blinds are large, being a raising "maniac" is the right play. so if you can get somebody to stop being aggressive, that helps you.

Socrates 07-08-2005 01:45 PM

Teaching at the table is never acceptable. You want him to play those cards everytime.

JrJordan 07-08-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he doesn't like money. Let him raise with crap and adjust your play accordingly.

Buck_65 07-08-2005 02:43 PM

WTF are you doing? Do you have something against money?

Tuben 07-08-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree whit that.

So shut upp and outplay him.

NYCNative 07-08-2005 03:46 PM

Wow. I am stunned that people actually enjoy someone running all over the table.

I am keenly aware of the "wait for a big hand and crush the maniac" play. However if you're in a tournament, blinds are going up and maniac is on the button every time you're in the blinds, it gets old after a while.

I'd love to go over the top every time but in lieu of that, it's nice to have the maniac know that I know what his deal is and that I will play back - and that my standards for doing so are going to be adjusted appropriately.

Buck_65 07-08-2005 03:49 PM

Just adjust to his predictable style of play and outplay him. Isn't that the underlying strategy in poker?? Why do you think most successful players are tight and aggressive? Might it have to do with the vast majority of players being awful, loose, and passive (or maniacally aggressive)? It is all about playing the metagame.