Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How did you choose your career (semi-long) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407137)

12-29-2005 02:15 PM

How did you choose your career (semi-long)

Im in the process, I guess, of trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I am less than a year away from graduating with a BS- Info Sys Security, and did some contract work, but I can honestly say, that I really dont enjoy it, and dont have the talent to make tons of money. I am sure I could get a bs job, schlep through it and make the requisite to have 2.4 kids, a nice car/house, but it sounds boring, and I want to do something more. Ive grown up in the restaurant industry, and have designed a security system for bars/restaurants, this is what I do for a living now (along with website design, pc repair, helping with quickbooks setup etc), but I dont enjoy this either. Ive also thought about opening up a bar, but if that goes through it wont be for a while....Anyways, my question is, how did you guys fall into your career path? Do you enjoy it? What do youdo?

FouTight 12-29-2005 02:18 PM

Re: How did you choose your career (semi-long)

I have personally always enjoyed workign with computers, networking, seeing things communicate and setting stuff up. I have always kinda viewed this as a big puzzle, and have always enjoyed it.

This line of work just sorta fell on me, and I enjoy it. It's honestly something I would do for fun (not 40 hours a week, but I would, on occasion, do it for fun) So, doing it for 40 hours a week doesn't bother me.

12-29-2005 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have personally always enjoyed workign with computers, networking, seeing things communicate and setting stuff up. I have always kinda viewed this as a big puzzle, and have always enjoyed it.

This line of work just sorta fell on me, and I enjoy it. It's honestly something I would do for fun (not 40 hours a week, but I would, on occasion, do it for fun) So, doing it for 40 hours a week doesn't bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is how I got into it, I enjoyed it a lot. I started learning about computers/networking in 7th or 8th grade, progressed through high school, and knew a ton about network security etc, before my first real class. I really enjoy it as a hobby. I really dont enjoy it when I HAVE to do it 40-50 hours a week, with someone else reapign in the profits etc. Ive thought about starting up my own security firm, and do pen-testing, network assesments, but I am too young to deal with any real talent that i could hire, and do not know many people in the industry.

12-29-2005 02:22 PM

Lessee, I've backed into one, fell into one, gotten drunk and woke up in another, and this latest one just kind of picked me.

FouTight 12-29-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is how I got into it, I enjoyed it a lot. I started learning about computers/networking in 7th or 8th grade, progressed through high school, and knew a ton about network security etc, before my first real class. I really enjoy it as a hobby. I really dont enjoy it when I HAVE to do it 40-50 hours a week, with someone else reapign in the profits etc. Ive thought about starting up my own security firm, and do pen-testing, network assesments, but I am too young to deal with any real talent that i could hire, and do not know many people in the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so, start something up, nobody starts at the top bro. It's pretty easy to find people that will pay you to do anything computer related, a lot of people are afraid of it and would rather just not get involved and pay someone else to do it.

I've done a lot of work for companies and it was fun, but I enjoy working a steady job that I don't have to manage a little better right now while I'm still young enough to have some fun.

One thing I want to get into is setting up E-commerce sites for smaller buisness to sell product over the internet. Seems like such a gold mine yet a lot of buisnesses are nowhere close to having this realitivey easy process setup.

12-29-2005 02:46 PM

There are no streamline process to set up an e-business, which is good for us. If you do any work with a B&M looking to expand to the net, take a look at the MS POS software, you can integrate your store sales, with stuff over the net, and its very flexible/scalable. Its pretty easy to get certified to becaome a dealer, and the profit margin is relativly high. Im in the process of setting up a cigar shop with it right now, they seem to like it.

FouTight 12-29-2005 02:58 PM

Yeah, thats exactly the stuff I'm talking about. I've done a decent amount of work with POS stuff, but I like setting up web stores and stuff too, which is cheaper then most places would assume, and there is also a very high profit margin there. Making a buisness out of making buisness work is a great buisness.

12-29-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, thats exactly the stuff I'm talking about. I've done a decent amount of work with POS stuff, but I like setting up web stores and stuff too, which is cheaper then most places would assume, and there is also a very high profit margin there. Making a buisness out of making buisness work is a great buisness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do now. I cant see myself doing it forever.

12-29-2005 03:01 PM

I went to a career fair and found an interesting field. then I got an internship with an organization in that field. When I graduated (mid-90's) the job market sucked but I was able to find an entry level position in the same organization where I interned, albeit out of my area of interest to get my foot in the door. I used my experience as an intern to bolster my qualifications.

Now that I was inside the organization, I tried to get as much exposure as possible to different people and divisions. When a vacancy opened up a few years later in the exact field I wanted, I used the experience gained working on the inside to help me through the selection process (I had a significant advantage over outside applicants!).

I've continued to try to use these principles and practices in the 8+ years I've been in my current position to advance.

12-29-2005 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a career fair and found an interesting field. then I got an internship with an organization in that field. When I graduated (mid-90's) the job market sucked but I was able to find an entry level position in the same organization where I interned, albeit out of my area of interest to get my foot in the door. I used my experience as an intern to bolster my qualifications.

Now that I was inside the organization, I tried to get as much exposure as possible to different people and divisions. When a vacancy opened up a few years later in the exact field I wanted, I used the experience gained working on the inside to help me through the selection process (I had a significant advantage over outside applicants!).

I've continued to try to use these principles and practices in the 8+ years I've been in my current position to advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do, and what fields did you like the most? What principles and practices helped you teh most?