Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Phil Hellmuth - not a gambler (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295369)

meow_meow 07-18-2005 03:49 PM

Phil Hellmuth - not a gambler

I often wonder if being a gambler is part of what makes great poker players great. Seems like you hear an awful lot about pros like Ivey, TJ, Ted Forrest, Ungar, DN either making -EV non-poker bets or playing above their roll, and I seem to remember Doyle writing something in the intro to SS about heavy sports betting in the past.

Anyway, Hellmuth seems like the exception to the rule in this regard. I was only able to listen to the cardplayer final table audio for a short while, but I was struck by Phil's comment to DN regarding his HU challenge - namely that even if he (Phil) was a 55/45 favorite over DN in a HU match, he wouldn't want to risk $500k on it.

This led me to wonder whether I'd be willing to risk 10% of my total liquid assets as a 55/45 favorite. Hard to say for sure when it's just theoretical, but I'm fairly certain that I'd take that bet. Maybe not for more than 30% though...

Anyway, I'm no fan of Phil, his bloated ego and silly antics, but I do kinda respect the guy for his discipline.

maurile 07-18-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Phil Hellmuth - not a gambler

[ QUOTE ]
This led me to wonder whether I'd be willing to risk 10% of my total liquid assets as a 55/45 favorite. Hard to say for sure when it's just theoretical, but I'm fairly certain that I'd take that bet. Maybe not for more than 30% though...

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that Doyle Brunson said in SS1 that he'd bet everything he owned on a coin flip if he got 2-1 odds.

acIdREIGN462 07-18-2005 04:10 PM

Phil makes terrible bets too... His wager with E-dog about a river outdraw w/ 5 outs(i think) at 6-1

xxx 07-18-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This led me to wonder whether I'd be willing to risk 10% of my total liquid assets as a 55/45 favorite. Hard to say for sure when it's just theoretical, but I'm fairly certain that I'd take that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take it- this meets the Kelley criteria perfectly.

TStoneMBD 07-18-2005 08:58 PM

phil is a gambler, youre wrong about that.

youre also wrong about his reasons for not taking daniels offer. i believe that phil knows daniel is the favorite. he also doesnt play this high for many reasons. i really doubt that phil is worth 5 mill. lets be realistic here.

ace_in_the_hole 07-18-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Doyle Brunson said in SS1 that he'd bet everything he owned on a coin flip if he got 2-1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was 10-1

beernutz 07-18-2005 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
phil is a gambler, youre wrong about that.

youre also wrong about his reasons for not taking daniels offer. i believe that phil knows daniel is the favorite. he also doesnt play this high for many reasons. i really doubt that phil is worth 5 mill. lets be realistic here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on this page, I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 5M

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=r&n=117

That is just his tourney cashes and if my quick and dirty addition is correct it is just under 5M.

Hold'me 07-18-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's Doyle strategy just in case he ends up losing that coin flip?

sammysusar 07-18-2005 10:22 PM

according to some hellmuth was a huge loser in the high stakes games in the past. if you play the highest games you can lose all your tourney winnings pretty quick. while he is definitely a winner in the tourneys, in the long run, he probably has not earned 5 mil playing poker. with his books and stuff though im sure he is doing quite ok financially.

flatline 07-18-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's Doyle strategy just in case he ends up losing that coin flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get staked and keep playing cards?