Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What a screwup by Pokerstars!!! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182182)

David 01-23-2005 02:19 AM

What a screwup by Pokerstars!!!

So, who else got "the" email from Pokerstars that matched screen names with real names? I got 3 emails from Stars, 1 thanking me for my Tsunami donation and another matching screen names with real names inadvertantly, and another telling me the second was sent by mistake and please erase it. Some pros screen names in that email.

BlueBear 01-23-2005 03:05 AM

Re: What a screwup by Pokerstars!!!

WTH, I got that e-mail too. I am sure many players value and protect their online identities far more than their bankrolls and I am very, very curious what mailing list Lee Jones was talking about.

WSOPWinner2005 01-23-2005 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, who else got "the" email from Pokerstars that matched screen names with real names? I got 3 emails from Stars, 1 thanking me for my Tsunami donation and another matching screen names with real names inadvertantly, and another telling me the second was sent by mistake and please erase it. Some pros screen names in that email.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars will be paying alot of pros some good money for that mistake to keep playing there. Sure all those names will now be changed to (to those who value the secrecy).

slickpoppa 01-23-2005 03:18 AM

i don't think its that big of a deal. the blog of the bahamas tournament matched the names of finishers with their PS names

detroitplayer 01-23-2005 03:34 AM

How big was the email? There's gotta be 100k+ registered names there.

Instyle007 01-23-2005 04:36 AM

So while trying to talk about players who won or did something they put in their real names instead of their screen names? Anyway you can post that here?

Instyle007

Mike Haven 01-23-2005 11:38 AM

I hope that no one posts the e-mail, for reasons of common decency to the players named in it, who must be incredibly pissed off about it being released so negligently, together with the amounts they gave to the Tsunami Disaster Fund.

A quick glance at it shows the playing names of Lee Jones, Julian Thew, Phil Collins, Bartholomew Simpson, Juha Helppi, and Noah Boeken, to mention but a very few.

Rather than merely trying to sweep such a massive confidentiality error under the carpet by simply asking everyone to delete the offending e-mail, PokerStars should inform every affected player of what has happened and offer to change their accounts, immediately, imo.

"Dear PokerStars player,

Because of an administrative mistake, you received a second, confusing, email regarding a donation you made to the tsunami relief effort at PokerStars.

Please erase it.

We apologize for the error.

Best regards,

Lee Jones
PokerStars Poker Room Manager"

47outs 01-23-2005 12:00 PM

I don't play at pokerstars but am somewhat curious as to the 'pros' names/screen names.

Can I have the list?

outs

Baulucky 01-23-2005 12:04 PM

It would be only proper to post the email with the list in this very thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ro-me-ro 01-23-2005 12:04 PM

Hi guys,

Let me just clarify what happened.

A block of text containing 500 usernames, userid's and donation amounts was inadvertantly sent out to *a different* block of 500 people that donated. No email addresses or other account information...

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than merely trying to sweep such a massive confidentiality error under the carpet by simply asking everyone to delete the offending e-mail, PokerStars should inform every affected player of what has happened and offer to change their accounts, immediately, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, we wouldn't try and sweep something like this under the carpet; the 500 affected players were immediately contacted, compensated for the mistake, and were offered the opportunity to change their userid.

Obviously Lee feels terrible about this mistake and will take steps to ensure that it never happens again.

Regards,

Ellis