Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   online 2/4 river problem (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327316)

Jules22 09-01-2005 02:09 AM

online 2/4 river problem

thoughts on this hand? i think several streets are debatable

i have AJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the small blind. all folds to co who limps, hes not very good. button raises, smells to me of isolation attempt because co was real bad. i 3 bet, the bb folds and the villains call.

flop is j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] i bet co folds button calls.

turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i bet and the button calls

river is the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i bet and he raises... whats your play?

willie24 09-01-2005 02:15 AM

Re: online 2/4 river problem

call. remember when you lose, you lose 2 big bets by raising and when you win you only gain 1 by raising.

09-01-2005 02:31 AM

He does not have to have a premium hand. May have been a steal attempt, regardless top two pair, even with the board paired is a strong hand. You also have both pot odds and equity to call. Therefore, call his bet.

MyTurn2Raise 09-01-2005 02:34 AM

I say call, but you're probably beat. I might be totally wrong though as I had a tough time thinking with that avatar. Wow

09-01-2005 04:30 AM

I would play it the same way, and I dont event think its a close decision.
You must be ahead the vast majority of the time on the flop and river, and you have to bet it.

The river raise probably means you are beat by a flush, but heads up I think he is betting AK, AQ ,AJ , AT or simply bluffing often enough to make it worth a call.

Another less important reason is the metagame issue : A fold will make unpleasant river blufs later in the game more likely.

Fnord 09-01-2005 04:57 AM

I would 3-bet unless I had additional information on the button.

The flush will often miss a cap because he will fear a full house. 4x will fear both the flush and boat. This whole hand reeks of Ax and with AA/JJ each dealt one way, I don't have a problem paying them off for the max.

oreogod 09-01-2005 06:39 AM

Why does he have to have a flush here? KQs is pretty much the only thing out there...but even then, all he did was call u down. imo he has AT, AQ..etc.

Id raise.

Also, I think AA or JJ goes crazy before the river.

oreogod 09-01-2005 06:42 AM

missed that he raised, thought it was reversed.

Still, It depends on your opponent...does he play his draws passivly like here, its he aggro etc.

brazilio 09-01-2005 06:49 AM

I wish you had reads on the raiser, but KQs is the only hand I'm worried about here, so I 3-bet this a lot.

PTjvs 09-01-2005 08:44 AM

I call, expecting to be good against his AK/AQ/AT here or splitting with his AJ about 2/3rds of the time.

jvs