Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Unsure AA play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304250)

07-30-2005 11:35 PM

Unsure AA play

I'm use to limit, so getting my feet wet in the NL ring arena. This is at a .10NL table. I'm only going to detail up to the flop for now, that's where I'm curious if I'm playing right.

I am SB, dealt AA. I have about $6.50, seems average for the table.

5 people limp in. I raise to .50. Two folds, three calls.

Flop is J99. I am first up, I should...... ?
(I'll go further into what happens next after)

richmhv 07-31-2005 12:31 AM

Re: Unsure AA play

I'd make a pot size bet and see what happens. The only hands that can hurt you are JJ and anything with a nine. You'll most likely hit a large raise if one of these is out there. Otherwise be glad to take down the pot.

stu-unger 07-31-2005 12:59 AM

first off until u r comfortable playing NL when u raise preflop raise 3 1/2bbs+1bb for every limper. in this case that should look like atleast 75cents.

as for how to play it from here u r in a situation where u r way ahead way behind. u have the best 2 pair so unless someone has a 9, which is likely with this big a multi-way pot. my line here is probably to c/r the flop lead the turn and re-evaluate from there. u can lead at this flop but, it doesn't do u much harm if it gets checked around and it may save u from loosing a bundle to a 9. the c/r should let u know where u stand pretty well. the only reason i don't like a lead is that at this level people r so apt to slowplay a 9 and make this hand more confusing to play.

whittiphil 07-31-2005 01:17 AM

I like Stu's advice here, I think I'll do this play with similar flops from now on. It is true that they love to slow play the 9... and that could still happen - they'll call the check raise and check the turn... Be careful, but remember you have AA, and AA is good.

07-31-2005 11:30 AM

It's the way-ahead way-behind situations I have trouble with, thus my asking this question. It seems like the goal is to get information; but it's easy to get thrown off. Here was the next step in the play, see if it changes anything:

Flop is J99 rainbow. I make a bet of $2. One fold. Villian1 calls for $1.50 and is all-in. Villian2 calls.

The turn is a 9. I should then... ?

amoeba 07-31-2005 11:36 AM

raise more preflop.

I like a bet on the flop and all in on the turn.

07-31-2005 09:55 PM

That's exactly what I did.

Flop is J99 rainbow. I make a bet of $2. One fold. Villian1 calls for $1.50 and is all-in. Villian2 calls.

The turn is a 9. I raise all-in for my remaining. Villian2 calls.

River is a 5. Results in white:
<font color="white">
Hero shows AA for AA999, nines full of aces.
Villian1 shows Jx for JJ999, nines full of jacks.
Villian2 shows 79o for J9999, four of a kind. </font>

At the flop I was a bit worried, but on the turn I felt better since there was only one card in the deck that could hurt me. I was curious because at the end of the play both villians said I played that hand really poorly. It seems that this is one of those 50/50 things, deciding to bet first or check. I think from now on I'll be more cautious about it.

bkfizz02 07-31-2005 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At the flop I was a bit worried, but on the turn I felt better since there was only one card in the deck that could hurt me.

[/ QUOTE ]

or pocket jacks, or pockets X's where X is the river cards T-K

I disagree with your opponents analysis. I think you played the hand fine and get called 2 ways by J-X often.