Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Secrets of Studying Abroad (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398931)

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:15 AM

The Secrets of Studying Abroad

On Janurary 1st, I will be flying to Glasgow, Scotland for a semester abroad. I'm 20, don't have a serious girlfriend, and will have a deccent amount of money to blow. I've already connected with a few OOT's over there and it's clear I'm going to have the time of my life. I want to maximize all the possibities of fun, so I'm turning to OOT for nuggets of wisdom. Here is my plan thus far:

1) Drink a new kind of beer every day.
2) Try to visit a new country every weekend.
3) Travel with good friends who are studying abroad, but try to make as many new friends from different countries as possible.
4)Listen to what people think about Americans, rather then tell them anything about America.
5) Have a rough budget and try to stick to it (I'll have about 7k for travel and fun, not including tuition and accomidations)

What else should be in my plan? Obviously I'm going to try to get in bar fights and have sex with Scottish chicks.

irishpint 12-15-2005 11:18 AM

Re: The Secrets of Studying Abroad

I spent about 8k in England last semester and I wasn't even in London. I'd say be sure to visit the smaller towns/areas- not just the large cities (a city is a city). Take lots of trips. Also, as we learned don't get on a train anywhere unless you're drunk or brought something with you to drink, it just doesn't make sense to not be drunk if you could be.

MarkL444 12-15-2005 11:20 AM

you should probably know that scottish chicks arent hot.

jackdaniels 12-15-2005 11:23 AM

I've been to Glasgow. Great beer, crappy food. Expect to lose weight.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:30 AM

I lost like 30 lbs in the last few months to increase my chances with the ladies. I'm less about the food and more about the girls.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:31 AM

So you're saying that I should focus on banging the other internationals at my university? That seems sort of lame.

I guess the choice is:
1) Sacrifice quality for the international experiance?
2) Or just go for hottness, regardless of nationality?

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:33 AM

Did you spend 8k on housing and tuition, or just on booze and fun? Damn, that's a lot of money.

irishpint 12-15-2005 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that I should focus on banging the other internationals at my university? That seems sort of lame.

I guess the choice is:
1) Sacrifice quality for the international experiance?
2) Or just go for hottness, regardless of nationality?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first month in England I only hooked up with 3 American Students who were there. After an initial shock and a few pints they'll look better. And just something about nabing international girls makes it exciting!!

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:36 AM

Right, it's cooler to bang some international girls than go to another country and [censored] american chicks. This ain't spring break.

irishpint 12-15-2005 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you spend 8k on housing and tuition, or just on booze and fun? Damn, that's a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a lot of time traveling, plus the dollar=dick.
And drinking is expensive. Do the math...a pint'll cost you around 3-4 pounds we'll say. That's like $7.

mmbt0ne 12-15-2005 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'm going to try to get in bar fights and have sex with Scottish chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you could move up to getting into bar fights with men by the end of your trip.

whiskeytown 12-15-2005 11:50 AM

just reading this makes me want to go back to college.

gl, bro.

RB

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:51 AM

I'm trying to have fun, not get killed. Have you ever been in a Scottish bar fight?

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 11:52 AM

The dollar is rising, thankfully.

Maybe I'll look into meeting a hot older women with a ton of cash. I'm also a lightweight when it comes to booze, so that's good.

cdxx 12-15-2005 11:52 AM

you should have a daily goal of reminding at least one man larger than yourself that you saved their butts in WWII, and that real men play american football, and not soccer.

you should make a lot of new friends.
good luck. study abroad sounds like fun.

BottlesOf 12-15-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've already connected with a few OOT's over there and it's clear I'm going to have the time of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If and when it goes south, I think we'll be able to pinpoint a possible explanation.

KaneKungFu123 12-15-2005 11:58 AM

catch a leprican

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:00 PM

I like the second part, but not the first part. See my list of rules. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:02 PM

As with all of Kane's posts, I'm never sure if his statements have some kind of deep meaning that I am missing. I guess I'll understand it when I move up from 10NL.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:15 PM

I think this entire trip is going to be amazing.

Obviously, OOTer's are more than welcome to come visit.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:28 PM

If OOT's is at least partially responsible for getting me locked in a Turkish prison, I expect OOT to come and get me out.

Yeti 12-15-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On Janurary 1st, I will be flying to Glasgow, Scotland

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it's clear I'm going to have the time of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaa!

Yeti 12-15-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..a pint'll cost you around 3-4 pounds we'll say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

man 12-15-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it just doesn't make sense to not be drunk if you could be.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is perhaps the best advice I have ever heard in my entire life.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:35 PM

Does that seem to high or too low? Aren't you British? Let's here it directly from the source.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:37 PM

Snob. Who do you think you are, Sam Johnson?

Yeti 12-15-2005 12:38 PM

I stayed in Edinburgh for a year which is a pretty expensive city. I recall paying £2.75, maybe £3 tops. £4 seems very high.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:39 PM

Glasgow is sort of a slum, from what I can tell. That's cool, I'm from Philadelphia. I wouldn't know what to do in a place that didn't smell like piss all the time.

1800GAMBLER 12-15-2005 12:42 PM

It's nice to have a plan but no way are you keeping to that. After 7 days you will have drank every type of beer. Sorry to burst your bubble but we have the same beer you do, welcome to american culture taking over.

Anyway, just be sure to visit amsterdam.

and don't be a typical american with loud clothes on and a loud mouth and a 'i'm here' attitude, master that then banging scottish chics should be easy.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:43 PM

See my list of rules. I have no plans to be a typical American idiot, because I doubt I'll learn a ton that way.

Riverman 12-15-2005 12:49 PM

The women there are shockingly ugly, but slutty. I would take many cheap trips to other countries that have hot sluts as opposed to ugly ones- spain and iceland are supposed to have the finest selection

Yeti 12-15-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and don't be a typical american with loud clothes on and a loud mouth and a 'i'm here' attitude

[/ QUOTE ]

1800GAMBLER 12-15-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See my list of rules. I have no plans to be a typical American idiot, because I doubt I'll learn a ton that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we were in amsterdam last time we met a guy called Lane, from Boston, because me and my friend were laughing at a hooker in a window and he was too. After that we spoke, smoked some weed together, he told us of the cities he's travelling and the british girls he's banging mostly because of his accent etc. He was too shy to ask a hooker how much for the old in and out so we did, then off he went in with her. He met us 15 minutes later (the time limit for being with a hooker), said bye then went to meet up with some american girls who he knew that were also visiting amsterdam. That seems like it should be your plan.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:56 PM

I've had a lot of random sex in the past two years, and I'm obviously open to more. However, I'd also sort of like to meet a nice girl and just be with her for a few months. As one of my buddies said, "You're in a place in your live where you just want to have a lot of sex with the same person." Obviously it's deeper than sex, I want some of the stuff that comes along with those sorts of relationships.

I'm not saying that I'm going into this thing looking for a serious relationship, but I'm also open to it. I'm pretty much open to anything and everything happening. As for hookers, I don't know about that...

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 12:57 PM

I hear Iceland is pretty cool. Plus it's a social democracy so if I catch something it'll be easy to get some healthcare.

mushi 12-15-2005 01:00 PM

I think scotish accent when spoken by a girl is very very sexy the problem is understanding it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

mushi [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 01:09 PM

Why do you have to understand them?

MaxPower 12-15-2005 01:10 PM

Don't neglect the American girls. You will probably meet more there than you do here. They will also be more likely to talk/hang out with you just because you are a fellow American.

Try to go to class as little as possible. When I studies in London I scheduled all my classes on Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing like a 5 day weekend.

Andrew Fletcher 12-15-2005 01:15 PM

Sex and Studying Abroad

Maybe this requires another thread, but it's time to turn to the favorite topic of OOT: sex and dating!

Background: I was in a serious, non-mongamous, long distance relationship for about a year and a half. It was pretty messed up, because both her and I were going through rough times. We're still friends, but I think we're both totally different people now. Anyway, we broke up and I proceeded to have sex with a lot of random girls at my college. I'm not trying to brag, just give a picture of my current mental state. Since that messed up girl, I haven't been in a serious relationship. I've never been in a serious relationship with someone who was at the same physical place as me.

What do you guys think about meeting someone while studying abroad? Pros/Cons? I have always frowned upon people who get into serious relationships while studying abroad, but I'm starting to reconsider. It seems like all of this could be more fun with a partner in crime that I get to cuddle with at the end of the night. A lot of crazy [censored] will be happening, it might be nice to have a constant.

Of course, she'd have to be cool as hell. I'm not going to date some girl just for the sake of dating a girl. But I think there will be a lot of cool people, as there are everywhere. Thoughts?

RunDownHouse 12-15-2005 01:21 PM

Re: Sex and Studying Abroad

I was in a monogamous reltionship when I went to Germany for over 6 months. Its really, really hard, and I don't know if it was really worth it, even though I'm still with her and we've lived together for over 2 years now.

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're serious enough to contemplate marriage.