Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who should be sided with in this fantasy football situation? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401786)

stillbr 12-20-2005 01:51 AM

Who should be sided with in this fantasy football situation?

Person B scored 107 pts.

Person A scrored 90 pts.

Here is the problem though. Person A called the Commishes cell phone at 1130am on sunday to tell him that he was unable to get to a computer and to sub two of his players. The players he wanted subed were Heath Miller for LJ smith, and Keenan Mcardell for Hines ward. However because the commish was out of town and didnt listen to his messages he was unable to sub those players. If they had been subed player A would have scored 108, beating Person B.

So..who should be sided with? Should the commish side with A because he was left a message before the games started? or should the commish side with person B because this is just part of fantasy & person A could have easily called someone else and gotten them to do it?

Vote4Pedro 12-20-2005 02:09 AM

Re: Who should be sided with in this fantasy football situation?

I say tough [censored]...Player B wins

12-20-2005 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say tough [censored]...Player B wins

[/ QUOTE ]

thatpfunk 12-20-2005 02:33 AM

Are you guys [censored] serious? If this is a friendly league (not just random dudes) and the guy had no computer access and called the commish beforehand to tell him is real starters then those should be his starters.

grow up and have some respect.

uw_madtown 12-20-2005 02:34 AM

Person A. It's not close.

12-20-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Person B . It's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had all week.

DMBFan23 12-20-2005 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Person B . It's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had all week.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he called him friday, it should be retroactive. he called him SUNDAY night. [censored] that.

agree 100% with you madtown

thatpfunk 12-20-2005 03:09 AM

no, he called him sunday morning, BEFORE THE GAMES HAD STARTED.

who cares if he had all week- maybe he had finals, maybe his dog died. the point is that he indicated who his starters were to the commish before the games began. if you're really that petty then you suck at life.

DMBFan23 12-20-2005 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

who cares if he had all week- maybe he had finals, maybe his dog died. the point is that he indicated who his starters were to the commish before the games began. if you're really that petty then you suck at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops. I read PM. if he called him before the games, then I agree his players should have been started.

lastchance 12-20-2005 03:45 AM

Depends on if there's money on the line, and if it's major. If it's serious, than B wins. If it's a fun league, A wins.

Dynasty 12-20-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Games started on Saturday.

thatpfunk 12-20-2005 04:05 AM

None of his players had played yet. You are able to adjust your roster up until game time.

Your point, as usual, has no point.

freehat 12-20-2005 04:08 AM

Player A tards you are supposed to make last minute lineup changes and not be punished cause you dont have computer access at that time.

TheNoodleMan 12-20-2005 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on if there's money on the line, and if it's major. If it's serious, than B wins. If it's a fun league, A wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right and wrong don't depend on what is on the line. You should develop a spine sometime in the next several thousand years and choose a side. Calling the commish before gametime with a lineup change is a legitimate and binding act,

uw_madtown 12-20-2005 04:36 AM

We need a clarification on whether lineups can be changed after some games have been played, as long as the changes don't involve players in already played games. For example, a league I play in requires full lineups in before the kickoff of the first game of the week, and you can't make changes (this really sucks on Thanksgiving, when you have to set a full lineup on Thursday even though you might not have a single player in Thanksgiving day games).

If lineup changes just have to be made before the two players have played, which is the standard in FF these days, then this isn't remotely [censored] close. Player A sent a communication to the commish that is verifiably before kickoff.

And as TNM said, it doesn't matter whether it's a fun league or a money league. Stakes do not affect the decision, nor does the emotional investment (fun vs. serious).

I can't believe anyone is siding with Player B here. The only legit reason for the changes to be ignored is the aforementioned "full lineups before first kickoff" situation. stillbr didn't specify anything about this rule, but it's reasonable to assume that they operate under the more standard lineup rules.

Again, Player A. Not close.

Sluss 12-20-2005 08:08 AM

What Madtown said.

Unless there is some rule that says that the line-ups had to be in before Saturday's games the guy did everything he could. Although, I would have also called player B if I was A.

SammyKid11 12-20-2005 08:26 AM

Look, if it's an online league, then it's a league that demands computer access. I am my league's commissioner, and if someone called me at 11:30AM on a Sunday to tell me their starting lineup changes, I'd:
1) Be pissed off because I do not wake up on Sunday UNTIL (or sometimes after) the games have started.
2) Tell them to go F themselves.

If you don't care enough to plan further ahead than a half hour, you're a douchebag idiot who shouldn't expect the commissioner to do your work for you...and that kind of dedication is deserving of a loss.

Sluss 12-20-2005 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, if it's an online league, then it's a league that demands computer access. I am my league's commissioner, and if someone called me at 11:30AM on a Sunday to tell me their starting lineup changes, I'd:
1) Be pissed off because I do not wake up on Sunday UNTIL (or sometimes after) the games have started.

If you don't care enough to plan further ahead than a half hour, you're a douchebag idiot who shouldn't expect the commissioner to do your work for you...and that kind of dedication is deserving of a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
This happens all of the time in fantasy football. You make changes on gameday. Sometimes it's injuries or weather or match-ups, but you make changes. If the guy got laid last night and the girl doesn't have a computer, or if his server is down, it's not his fault.

I had a situation this year where one of the guys in my league was at my house trying to change Greg Jones for Tatum Bell at the last minute when he heard that Fred Taylor was going to start. Even though it was 12:58 Yahoo had locked the line-up. He called the commissoner and the guy he was playing, used me as a witness and ended up in a tie instead of winning by a point.

Being commish is more than just running the draft and paying out money. You have to be the moderator for all decisions. And you have to run the league.

TheNoodleMan 12-20-2005 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are too lazy or busy to make changes when an owner calls you to make them then you have no business being commissioner.

pudley4 12-20-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this is just totally opposite of what a good commissioner is supposed to do. His job is to run the league, and part of that is to make sure that the owner's needs are met, so long as they are reasonable. It's reasonable for an owner to ask his commissioner to make a lineup change for him. It's unreasonable for an owner to ask his commissioner to choose his players for the upcoming week.

stillbr 12-20-2005 01:14 PM

A little further clarification. Linups do not have to be set before all games start. As long as that player hasnt played yet they can be changed. Also, No one knew about the linup change thing until monday morning after all the scores were in--that is part of why there is a problem.

James282 12-20-2005 02:11 PM

Player B wins because Player A essentially had a freeroll in these 2 positions. If LJ Smith and Hines Ward had gone off he would have kept his fat mouth shut and been like, "whew! Good thing Larry the commissioner wasn't home or I'd be out of the playoffs!!" If Player A wins it's a travesty, unless the commissioner would have retroactively made the substitutions if it caused Player A to lose.
-James

12-20-2005 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Player B wins because Player A essentially had a freeroll in these 2 positions. If LJ Smith and Hines Ward had gone off he would have kept his fat mouth shut and been like, "whew! Good thing Larry the commissioner wasn't home or I'd be out of the playoffs!!" If Player A wins it's a travesty, unless the commissioner would have retroactively made the substitutions if it caused Player A to lose.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Plus I have a hard time believing Player A couldn't find another computer with internet or call someone with internet. If it was a money league, I would find a way. Also, if the commish allows this, what do you say to Player C who says "I had that same problem three weeks ago - I didn't think calling the commish and leaving a message with lineup changes would be allowed."

ScottieK

lastsamurai 12-20-2005 04:11 PM

11:30 EST?
If you guys are playing for money I would go with team B. Team A could of easily go to a local internet cafe and make changes.l

stillbr 12-20-2005 04:18 PM

Its for $ but nothing major. Winner gets $150.

BTW I was team B and I'm pretty sure the commish is gonna side with A. It looks like people are split 50-50 so its close enough that I'm not going to make a fuss.

BottlesOf 12-20-2005 04:24 PM

I can't believe this is so close, this is so simple. Player B won. Period.

It is Player A's responsibility to get his lineup right for his games, whether he does it or has a friend do it, or the commish do it. If the commish doesn't check his messages that's tough for Player A. Player A should NOT have been content to just leave it at a voicemail. This is fantasy football we're tlaking about. I also refuse to believe that the internet is not accesible to anyone, even if they're "out of town."

kenberman 12-20-2005 04:35 PM

depends on league rules.

since this has happened a few times in our league, we've basically had the rule in the place that no phone call changes are allowed, period.

commish has said this ahead of time, so everyone knows the rules. if you want, you can call a buddy and have him make the change online.

if there was no rule in place, and everyone is buddies, then player A should get the victory

uw_madtown 12-20-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

The changes should be made irregardless of what points the players scored or what effect they have on the outcome.

Unless the league has some stated rule that it's not the commish's job to make roster changes at the request of players. If there's players who've had the commish make roster changes before then this isn't REMOTELY close. If this is the first such incident all year, and there's no stated rule, then I can maybe see it. It's still a stupid decision but whatever.

This is why you spell out all these types of rules ahead of time, by the way.

stillbr 12-20-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is the first such incident all year, and there's no stated rule, then I can maybe see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This league is in its second year and somthing like this has never come up before.

SammyKid11 12-20-2005 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are too lazy or busy to make changes when an owner calls you to make them then you have no business being commissioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get paid to run the league...I don't get a free entry fee or extra juice on the payouts. My buddies wanted a league to be started, I have the most online savvy and know the most about football and so I have administered the league.

I am not of the opinion that doing the work of other team owners is part of the job of the commissioner. It isn't that I'm too busy...and it's certainly not because I'm lazy (having a late sleeping schedule is not indicative of laziness). I run the draft, I've collected the money, I will payout the money, I have mediated any decisions that have required my attention, all with fairness and promptness...why does being commish put me on the hook for changing your lineup when you have not been responsible enough to properly manage your own team?

pudley4 12-20-2005 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get paid to run the league...I don't get a free entry fee or extra juice on the payouts. My buddies wanted a league to be started, I have the most online savvy and know the most about football and so I have administered the league.

I am not of the opinion that doing the work of other team owners is part of the job of the commissioner. It isn't that I'm too busy...and it's certainly not because I'm lazy (having a late sleeping schedule is not indicative of laziness). I run the draft, I've collected the money, I will payout the money, I have mediated any decisions that have required my attention, all with fairness and promptness...why does being commish put me on the hook for changing your lineup when you have not been responsible enough to properly manage your own team?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd better hope you don't have an internet outage 5 minutes before kickoff when you find out your star player's "gametime decision" just went the opposite way from what you expected...

uw_madtown 12-20-2005 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this is the first such incident all year, and there's no stated rule, then I can maybe see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This league is in its second year and somthing like this has never come up before.

[/ QUOTE ]

So no one has ever called the commish to make a roster change?

stillbr 12-20-2005 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So no one has ever called the commish to make a roster change?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I know of. If they had it was fixed before games started so it didnt cause a known problem.

yoadrians 12-21-2005 10:05 PM

It's A, it's not close, and anyone who picks B obviously hasn't had this happen to them or seen what it can do to a league or friendships.

Only way I can see a compromise here is if you have the guys replay the game the next week ... but that might not work in this specific situation.

smb394 12-21-2005 11:51 PM

Option A, as long their words' are good. Though, the commissioner should've posted something on the league message board or they both should've called a 3rd party to verify these pending changes.

There are a couple of guys in my league I don't totally trust, but I'm commissioner, so I can stop any shady crap before it happens.

12-21-2005 11:53 PM

There were games Saturday, A should have had his lineup set already (come on, it's the playoffs, pay attention.) A gave his commish less than 2 hours notice, I say tough [censored]. That is why you set your lineup at the beginning of the week and keep yourself updated as the week progresses (serious owners do this on a daily basis.)

Let us put the shoe on the other foot, if the two players he wanted to sub actually scored LESS, and then the commish finds out about this message, what do you think A would say then?

uw_madtown 12-22-2005 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There were games Saturday, A should have had his lineup set already (come on, it's the playoffs, pay attention.) A gave his commish less than 2 hours notice, I say tough [censored]. That is why you set your lineup at the beginning of the week and keep yourself updated as the week progresses (serious owners do this on a daily basis.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not someone is a serious FFer or a casual FFer doesn't matter. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and you can't penalize someone because, "Well, he should have had it in way before deadline anyway, so [censored] 'im."

Well, you can. But you'll have a tough time keeping a league together if you're that much of a dick as commish.

[ QUOTE ]
Let us put the shoe on the other foot, if the two players he wanted to sub actually scored LESS, and then the commish finds out about this message, what do you think A would say then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares?

He notified the commish before kickoff of games involving his players to make a lineup change due to lack of computer access. His intentions and the time of his message are verifiable.

This decision is not affected by whether money is on the line, when in the week the call was made (as long as it was before kickoff) or what points were scored by the players he was subbing.

The only factor here is whether this league considers it legitimate to contact the commish to make roster changes for a player. If each player is required to arrange for changes to be made on his own before gametime, then his call was nothing more than a friend trying to get a friend to help him out in time and failing to get through - Person B wins. If the commish is a legitimate person to report intended changes to (instead of inputting them yourself, or getting someone to do it for you), then Person A wins.

Every league I've ever played in would view it as Person A winning.

James282 12-22-2005 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not someone is a serious FFer or a casual FFer doesn't matter. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and you can't penalize someone because, "Well, he should have had it in way before deadline anyway, so [censored] 'im."

Well, you can. But you'll have a tough time keeping a league together if you're that much of a dick as commish.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares?

He notified the commish before kickoff of games involving his players to make a lineup change due to lack of computer access. His intentions and the time of his message are verifiable.

This decision is not affected by whether money is on the line, when in the week the call was made (as long as it was before kickoff) or what points were scored by the players he was subbing.

The only factor here is whether this league considers it legitimate to contact the commish to make roster changes for a player. If each player is required to arrange for changes to be made on his own before gametime, then his call was nothing more than a friend trying to get a friend to help him out in time and failing to get through - Person B wins. If the commish is a legitimate person to report intended changes to (instead of inputting them yourself, or getting someone to do it for you), then Person A wins.

Every league I've ever played in would view it as Person A winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Player A should win if the Commissioner would think to go change the lineups afterwards even if it caused Player A to lose, but that seems like such a remote chance that I doubt it would happen. You are absolutely correct that these things should be established beforehand - if they weren't I think you need to leave things as is. I just think most commissioners wouldn't even think to go back and change them(because player B would never know) if they caused Player A to lose because of the headaches --- unless it was clearly established beforehand.
-James