Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   400NL T8o blind defence (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408177)

pottie 12-31-2005 08:14 AM

400NL T8o blind defence

Villain in this hand is VPIP/PFR 56/34 over 58 hands, most of the raises are miniraises and he makes continuation bets most of the time. He does not seem horrible. I include my thinking in blue. My image is TAG.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($623)
MP ($371.20)
CO ($171)
Button ($391.60)
SB ($151.10)
Hero ($511.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4.
<font color="blue"> I cant let him win my my blinds with a miniraise, I have to call </font>

Flop: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $45</font>, Button calls $30.
<font color="blue">Good I hit the opensided straight draw, I don't want to take the pot with a lead, I want his continuation bet </font>

Turn: ($108) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.
<font color="blue">He called my flop raise and I have no clue what he is on, I'm in checkfold mode to a decent bet. </font>

River: ($108) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>
<font color="blue">He checked behind on the turn, doesnt seem that strong. If I check I'm losing the hand 100% of the time. I try a stupid half pot value bet bluff. </font>

deadmoney98 12-31-2005 08:23 AM

Re: 400NL T8o blind defence

To win this hand I think you either need to lead the turn or river for ~$100, but I am not sure that would help.

If villain does not have clubs it looks like he has at least a one pair hand and it is difficult to give you credit for much of a hand. The only draw that got there was a 56 double gutshot that most people would not see anyway.

This sounds gross and weak-tight, but I think checking it down is fine. You got to see out your draw relatively cheaply and there is something to be said for showing an aggressive player that you will play back at him with a draw.

nrinker 12-31-2005 08:56 AM

The river is the real dead spot in this line. Its pretty obvious at this point that the villain didnt just call your flop c/r to try and re-steal on your ass.

It looks like the villain checked behind on the turn and will gladly call a small river bet.

You need to follow through on the turn with a bet of atleast 80, the turn is your chance to end this hand.

Rotating Rabbit 12-31-2005 09:28 AM

Ok here's the same version from the buttons pov.

Villain in this hand is the bb, whose blinds I have been raising continually just to build pots in position with any 2 cards. The table is weak, and I am not getting reraised.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($623)
MP ($371.20)
CO ($171)
Hero ($391.60)
SB ($151.10)
Villian (BB) ($511.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Villian calls $4.
<font color="blue"> Exactly the situation I want, a double sized limped pot with marginal holdings for both of us with me in position </font>

Flop: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $45</font>, Button calls $30.
<font color="blue"> Villians c/r here could be overcards, but he is fairly scared and if I call his bet he'll shutdown with them. Therefore I can call this c/r with one pair, given I felt this move coming. He could also have clubs, or a strong hand. </font>

Turn: ($108) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, Button checks.
<font color="blue">He would bet here with any hand thats top pair or better here, after all he has no clue what I have, and there are draws out. Therefore I think he's on clubs, possibly middle pair, or maybe just overcards. He has no idea what i'm thinking because my vpip is 57, so its unlikely he's being tricky here. There's a reasonable chance A high is good. I could bet my A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but I'd hate a check raise, and clubs are looking likely for him here, and a club on the river will get his money anyway against me. </font>

River: ($108) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $50</font>
<font color="blue">Well he's not got a monster, and he didnt hit this turn or river, so he's possibly got a weak 9, but in that case he'd probably check. So he may have A9, or has clubs and wants me to fold Ace high, or any medium pair I might have. There's of course a chance I'm beat, but at 3-1 Im surely good here 25% of the time. </font>

(I wasnt villian btw this is just how I'd think if i was a donk who minraised on the button)

tradingman123 12-31-2005 10:02 AM

I would just call the flop and lead the turn. I have found that in many instances, villains with just overs will call the flop ck raise (of reasonable size) and then proceed to ck it down. If you stop and go here, I think you have a much better chance of getting him to fold. If you do ck raise, I think you should lead the turn a lot here.

Slappz 12-31-2005 02:34 PM

If your gonna checkraise that flop then lead the turn. Also, i wouldnt try to bloat the pot with a straight draw OOP, but thats just me.

Lucky 12-31-2005 02:48 PM

I dont think you have much f/e against this guy, so i dont like flop c/r. Against these guys, keep pot small until you make hand, then jam it. Save these moves for the c-bets from nits.