Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Another simple economics question: (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336423)

QuadsOverQuads 09-14-2005 01:19 AM

Another simple economics question:

Consider the following, from the Gospel of Luke :

[ QUOTE ]
As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury.

He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins.

"I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others.

All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

-- Luke 21:1-4

[/ QUOTE ]

Question :

Was Jesus right or wrong about this?

q/q

Cyrus 09-14-2005 01:56 AM

WWJD

[ QUOTE ]
Was Jesus right or wrong about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mathematically, the Son of God was, naturally, correct. The poor woman's contribution represented a far greater percentage of her net worth than the percentage of the rich people's contribution.

Politically, I believe the inherent contradiction between Christianity and Capitalism has already been noted on this forum -- and tossed aside, immediately.

This subject is awaiting its own BossJJ. I imagine him as a heathen capitalist, one who will be quoting verse from Adam Smith and the Evangelists and demolish the Temple. Don't look at me.

tylerdurden 09-14-2005 09:50 AM

Re: WWJD

[ QUOTE ]
Mathematically, the Son of God was, naturally, correct. The poor woman's contribution represented a far greater percentage of her net worth than the percentage of the rich people's contribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm not sure this is really an "economics" question - it's more of an arithmetic question.

[ QUOTE ]
Politically, I believe the inherent contradiction between Christianity and Capitalism has already been noted on this forum -- and tossed aside, immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a contradiction - at least, not one that makes it impossible for the two to peacefully coexist.

Exsubmariner 09-14-2005 10:08 AM

Re: Another simple economics question:

I once worked for a company that went into a "downturn." Everyone in the company got a 10% pay cut. The CEO said "Look, I'm loosing $100000 a year, that's a whole lot of money. Surely all of you can do it if I loose $100000." Funny, but a loaf of bread or a bottle of milk costs the same for him as it does for me. That scumbag didn't run the risk of not paying his mortgage by taking a 10% pay cut, I'm sure.

I think this is exactly what Jesus was talking about. The value of a dollar is relative, depending on how many you have.

X

Exsubmariner 09-14-2005 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a contradiction - at least, not one that makes it impossible for the two to peacefully coexist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel compelled to point out that the roots of communism lie in the concept of the poverty of Christ and that everyone should be equally poor in order to emulate His example.

The Christian church in the middle ages also used this as propaganda to justify exhorbitant tithes they demanded from the peasants.

Also of note is that until recent history, usery was banned in the Christian faith. This is why Jews, who engaged in banking (money lending), were viewed with such contempt. These attitudes were capitalized upon by the Nazi's pre WWII to villify the Jews who were involved in Germany's banking industry for looting the economy by devaluing the mark to pay reparations demanded by the treaty of Versailles.

I think if the OP's original intent was to open a can of worms here, he succeeded.

X

partygirluk 09-14-2005 10:26 AM

This is not true. Empirically we can be confident that the rich give a higher % of their net income to charity that the poor.

tylerdurden 09-14-2005 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel compelled to point out that the roots of communism lie in the concept of the poverty of Christ and that everyone should be equally poor in order to emulate His example.

The Christian church in the middle ages also used this as propaganda to justify exhorbitant tithes they demanded from the peasants.

Also of note is that until recent history, usery was banned in the Christian faith. This is why Jews, who engaged in banking (money lending), were viewed with such contempt. These attitudes were capitalized upon by the Nazi's pre WWII to villify the Jews who were involved in Germany's banking industry for looting the economy by devaluing the mark to pay reparations demanded by the treaty of Versailles.

I think if the OP's original intent was to open a can of worms here, he succeeded.

[/ QUOTE ]

What worms? In a stateless capitalistic system, you can go off and be a communal christian, no problem. Who's going to stop you?

Jedi Flopper 09-14-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not true. Empirically we can be confident that the rich give a higher % of their net income to charity that the poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Public education in America---Free
Browsing the forums on 2+2---Free
Showing your lack of reading comprehension to potentially millions of people---Priceless

09-14-2005 12:27 PM

On a very basic level... have you ever been at a craps table with one guy (usually me) betting $20 a roll... and the guy next to him betting $5,000 a roll. Who would be served most by a win?

More times than not... a 7 to 1 win will be more satisfying for the guy betting $20.

I think "Jesus" means to show that a sacrafice (even if it's only 2 coins) is more important than a 'gesture' of grace...

Exsubmariner 09-14-2005 12:37 PM

pwned