Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Offensive Photo? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377897)

Dynasty 11-14-2005 12:36 AM

Offensive Photo?

Clarkmeister, who likes as little moderation as possible, sent me this comment about a photo which appears in a WPT forum thread.

I saw the pic in that thread, but I figured the WTF
Nigger stuff was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
over the line. I couldn't believe you left it up.
Even if it's not intended to be hateful towards you,
letting a big nigger script in a photo stay around has
got to be bad policy.

Here's the photo (and yes, it's me at last week's MGM Grand MagooFest).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...lgvbpph9gn.jpg

I burst out laughing when I saw it.

timprov 11-14-2005 12:52 AM

Re: Offensive Photo?

Looks like one of those rare things where it's only funny if it's done to you.

Lloyd 11-14-2005 01:40 AM

I'm personally very surprised it's still up.

Dynasty 11-14-2005 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you think "nigga" used in this way is that offensive?

MrWookie47 11-14-2005 02:35 AM

I think that the n-word, even the nigga derivative, is a term that's hard to use in a funny context. It's become so infamous that, even while this isn't a remotely racist context, it's going to be found to be very offensive to a number of people viewing this site. Personally, I'm indifferent to the photo, but I think it should be taken down.

jdl22 11-14-2005 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you think "nigga" used in this way is that offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

As MrWookie pointed out it is offensive to a number of people in general. Perhaps I'm looking looking for something to offend, but I think you having an OE 40 in front of you may have played a role here.

Evan 11-14-2005 04:31 AM

You banned jason_t for saying "stfu" but you're leaving this? Are you out of your mind or can you just not get enough attention?

Dynasty 11-14-2005 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You banned jason_t for saying "stfu" but you're leaving this? Are you out of your mind or can you just not get enough attention?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just don't seem to want to listen. I suspended jason_t for trolling OOT by repeatedly responding to my posts with the same STFU messages. He was intentionally trying to create a problem despitte repeated warnings. He deserved that suspension.

Suspending the guy who put up that photo isn't something I'm even considering. It's obviously a joke.

Evan 11-14-2005 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just don't seem to want to listen. I suspended jason_t for trolling OOT by repeatedly responding to my posts with the same STFU messages. He was intentionally trying to create a problem despitte repeated warnings. He deserved that suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that completely. I disagree, but I can fully comprehend what you're saying. Jason says you never warned him, but that's hardly relevant anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
Suspending the guy who put up that photo isn't something I'm even considering. It's obviously a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares if it was a joke or not? What if I posted that I hoped your mother died at the hands of a rapist? Would that be okay if I didn't really hope that but was just joking around because I thought it was funny?

Just so we're clear, I don't think there's any reason to ban the guy that posted that picture; based on your past actions though, I don't see how you can possibly justify not banning him and maintain that other bannings were appropriate. I just wish you'd be more consistant or at the very least admit that you're not.

Mat Sklansky 11-14-2005 02:46 PM

I had the same reaction as dynasty, but if this many people disagree, it should come down. I'll do it.