Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Kicking game-winning FG on 3rd down... Just in case (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377669)

banditbdl 11-13-2005 06:04 PM

Kicking game-winning FG on 3rd down... Just in case

Can we get some sort of moratorium on football announcers talking about trying a game-winning FG with an extra down or extra time on the clock so that they can have another try at it in case there is a bad snap or hold? Has this ever happened? Has a team ever tried to kick it on 3rd down, screwed it up, and then won the game on the second try? Ever?

I can never remember this happening and until it does I'd appreciate it if the announcers could just shut up about it. They're grasping at straws during the climax of an exciting game for something to talk about between plays. Stop being so incompetent.

PhatTBoll 11-13-2005 06:16 PM

Re: Kicking game-winning FG on 3rd down... Just in case

[ QUOTE ]
Can we get some sort of moratorium on football announcers talking about trying a game-winning FG with an extra down or extra time on the clock so that they can have another try at it in case there is a bad snap or hold? Has this ever happened? Has a team ever tried to kick it on 3rd down, screwed it up, and then won the game on the second try? Ever?

I can never remember this happening and until it does I'd appreciate it if the announcers could just shut up about it. They're grasping at straws during the climax of an exciting game for something to talk about between plays. Stop being so incompetent.

[/ QUOTE ]
This happened in a Browns-Steelers game about 3 years ago. FG blocked on 3rd down, they recovered, then kicked the game winner on 4th. It didn't seem incompetent at the time.

MCS 11-13-2005 06:31 PM

I remember Pittsburgh got a second try against Nebraska, but the kick got blocked.

mmbt0ne 11-13-2005 06:32 PM

GT pulled this on UGA. 3rd down snap was fumbled. 4th down snap won the game.

Pudge714 11-13-2005 07:01 PM

Well the OP sure looks stupid now.

Edge34 11-13-2005 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the OP sure looks stupid now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why he'll always be Brian #2. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

mblax10 11-13-2005 07:54 PM

As mentioned this has actually happened a few times. I assume OP was watching Vikings-Giants this afternoon. Games tied, the Vikings have a 3rd down with 19 seconds left an no timeouts and decide to throw a pass.

The announcer says why are they risking throwing a pass? If they catch it in bounds the games over. Than announcer suggests kicking it on third down.

Guess what a bad snap on third down and the clock runs out too. So the advantage of kicking on third down was negated in this situation. Can we just put a moratorium on stupid announcers?

Jack of Arcades 11-13-2005 08:05 PM

Kicking it on third down there has everything to do with the risk of getting sacked or running the clock out on a regular play.

WLVRYN 11-13-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess what a bad snap on third down and the clock runs out too. So the advantage of kicking on third down was negated in this situation. Can we just put a moratorium on stupid announcers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. As long as the holder/kicker gets their hands on it, he can throw an incomplete pass and you get to kick again on 4th down. I'm not sure I've ever seen a FG snap miss everyone completely.

I dont disagree about stupid announcers, but not in this instance.

BeatOnRiver 11-13-2005 08:43 PM

the announcer said they should kick on 3rd down not in case the snap is fumbled but because if they run a play time could run out.