Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   u2 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=235313)

ilikebigbets 04-19-2005 06:16 AM

u2

i don't get them as a band, i don't like their music and bono is relatively difficult for me to look at for some reason... what am i missing? Also feel the same way about Bruce Springsteen but I know some ppl who agree w/ that one.

ilikebigbets

EricOF 04-19-2005 08:02 AM

Re: u2

Some Good tunes up until Achtung Baby. All downhill since then. No other band has as inflated an opinion of their own importance as U2, though that's probably all about Bono.

lucas9000 04-19-2005 08:29 AM

u2 are incredibly overrated. they made some great music in the 80s, but since then they've done nothing all that good imo. i mean let's be honest here...joshua tree was their last good album. it just boggles my mind that anyone still pays attention to them.

razor 04-19-2005 10:10 AM

It's music... some people connect with it, some people don't.

If you're into their music you get to listen to it, buy the CDs, watch the videos and see the concents. If you don't like it you get to ignore them...

swede123 04-19-2005 10:23 AM

I agree with the previous posters. At this point it seems every song they make sounds exactly the same. They've become mainstream pop pretty much. The Joshua Tree kicks ass though.

Swede

Chris Daddy Cool 04-19-2005 10:29 AM

generally i like U2 but not in the same way I like The Beatles for instance.

translated "I don't think they're bad, I like some of their songs, but they're not great or anything."

Bluffoon 04-19-2005 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't get them as a band, i don't like their music and bono is relatively difficult for me to look at for some reason... what am i missing? Also feel the same way about Bruce Springsteen but I know some ppl who agree w/ that one.

ilikebigbets

[/ QUOTE ]

Good band went soft.

Starving poor artists seem to me to create much better music than fat rich artists.

stigmata 04-19-2005 11:05 AM

Yeah, some really good stuff in the early 80's. Listen to the "War" album, its incredibly powerful music. Politically charged with the anger of youth. It is still important and relevant, and has stood the test of time.

Once they made the $ and chilled out, it was impossible for them to keep doing great stuff.

istewart 04-19-2005 11:16 AM

U2 rules. Saying they haven't done anything good since the Joshua Tree is a bit of a general statement. Achtung Baby was a great album, and All That You Can't Leave Behind was fairly good as well (my opinion, of course). Between 91-01, aside from 2 very mediocre albums, they really didn't make anything. It's not like they were pumping out bad album after bad album.

lucas9000 04-19-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
U2 rules. Saying they haven't done anything good since the Joshua Tree is a bit of a general statement. Achtung Baby was a great album, and All That You Can't Leave Behind was fairly good as well (my opinion, of course). Between 91-01, aside from 2 very mediocre albums, they really didn't make anything. It's not like they were pumping out bad album after bad album.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not general at all. i'm being quite specific in that every album after the joshua tree has not been good. nothing general about it...that statement represents a finite, identifiable group of albums.

imo they have been pumping out bad album after bad album after joshua tree, but that's just my opinion.