Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Psycology of poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401236)

12-19-2005 07:21 AM

Psycology of poker

Or how in gods name you spell psycology... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Is this book worth getting? I already have the basic books and stuff and the only thing those books dont cover is the psycological parts of the game. Any reviews here that I cant find?

mattw 12-19-2005 07:48 AM

Re: Psycology of poker

i would recommend this book. if you order from PS, dr al will sign it. i would also recommend larry philip's books.

somewhere in the word you cant spell is the letter h. i cant spell it either.

12-19-2005 09:16 AM

Definitely a book to read after you've read SSH and before you read books like TOP and HEPFAP. I think this booked changed my mindset on how to approach the game let alone play the game. You won't regret buying it and it will pay for itself in no time at all.

DrPhysic 12-19-2005 01:53 PM

I think some basic poker books come first as regularly recommended on this forum depending on your interest. ie: limit, no limit, ring, tournament, etc.

After that Dr Al's book Psychology of Poker is a very important book in your library. It is probably the best of the psych books on poker. Larry Phillips' Zen of Poker is also useful. I was not as impressed with his Tao book.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

12-20-2005 04:13 AM

I am just getting into PSYCHOLOGY of poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It is a great book and will help you see the game differently. People say books will pay for themselves...I'm still waiting for that. But don't get me wrong, I am probably just a below average player.

It's a great book and you should buy it, or find some way to read it.

steamboatin 12-20-2005 08:56 AM

If you look to your left there is a Psychology forum and Psychology is spelled correctly in the navigation links on the left.

zoobird 12-20-2005 09:51 AM

I haven't read Psychology of Poker, but I know that if you look through this forum you'll see a bunch of rave reviews of Inside The Poker Mind (which I also haven't read), which I assume has a similar general topic.

stigmata 12-20-2005 11:06 AM

I personally didn't enjoy POP and thought it was all rather self-evident. One long essay on the weak-tight loose-aggressive comparisons, and seemed to be an application of rather simplistic commercial psychology ideas applied to poker.

On the other hand I really enjoyed ITPM, which is particularly strong with the self-awareness / naval-gazing angle (i.e. controlling tilt / emotions etc.)

However, I don't think any book has adequately addressed this issue yet.

12-20-2005 11:30 AM

I have mentioned before, that while POP might be a good read, it reminds me too much of Dr. Phil or Oprah or something

First the devastating perils of the LAG style of playing (complete with stereotyped describtions of LAG's ... Snowboarders, Mafiosy .. and so on )

then ...

Until the conclusion that if you play TAG, then you are a good boy ... yes, goood boy

Then repeat the above like a zillion times, and you have POP

Feeney is cool though, allthough it really isn't a psychology book (good parts on tilt, emotions and playing maniacs though)

12-20-2005 12:00 PM

Dr. Al wrote an excellent book. I hope he comes on here and flames you for that. Although, he's too much of a gentleman, so he probably won't. I agree, ITPM is a great book as well. But to reduce Dr. Al's book to Dr. Phil and Oprah isn't fair. There is a good deal of great information in it.
I think it's a shame that Feeney no longer plays poker as his contributions could be very profound.