Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Stud 8, how would you play this? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369043)

TheNoodleMan 10-31-2005 04:18 PM

Stud 8, how would you play this?

Other than the loose call on 3rd, anyone play this any differently?
7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.60 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.80 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises

6th Street - (6.80 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises

River - (14.80 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises $2.25 to $12.25 and is all-in

Total pot: (17.25 BB)

Backstabr 10-31-2005 04:54 PM

Re: Stud 8, how would you play this?

Fold or raise 3rd. Careful raising 3rd if Seat 8 is tricky.

I think you can fold fourth: your scoop chances are quite slim. Maybe take a card off if you think Seat 8 may have a 3-card low.

Andy B 11-01-2005 02:15 AM

Fold third. Yuck. Fourth and fifth are fine. Sixth is interesting. For him to raise, he really ought to have a set, so I'd probably just call. Then again, maybe he's just said "screw it" and wants to get it all-in. Why people do that is beyond me, but you see that kind of thing all the time. Definitely bet the river and call the raise.

Spladle Master 11-01-2005 02:45 AM

Raise fourth.

DocOfDan 11-01-2005 10:03 AM

is the main reason for suggesting folding on third that 2 of his key cards (the fives) are dead?
I know it is only an 8 low, but if the fives weren't dead, wouldn't it be worth taking card with no raise in front of you?

Andy B 11-01-2005 10:24 PM

Reasons for folding, roughly in order:

1) You have three to a stinky Eight.

2) An Ace is yet to act behind you.

3) Two key cards (the Fives) are gone.

4) It's a low-ante game, but I'd probably fold this in a high-ante game as well.

Even with Fives live, I wouldn't bother with the Ace yet to act. Get Ray Zee's book.

TheNoodleMan 11-02-2005 03:42 PM

I think we can all agree that 3rd was a pretty loose call that I shouldn't have made. I'm more interested in the later streets. Anyone not going to the felt with the trip 8s on 6th?

Aaron W. 11-02-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than the loose call on 3rd, anyone play this any differently?
7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-limping an 8-low is bad; at least that's what the people around here say (and I'm inclined to believe them). This sits on top of my "Things I shouldn't do even though I want to" list.

bigredlemon 11-02-2005 07:40 PM

especially since it's a 78 low draw. With no limpers ahead of you it's an easier raise, or fold if you don't like the ace.

goofball 11-03-2005 09:44 AM

I don't think there is any way you can fold fourth. On sixth I think I usually just call as well.