Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   shrubs, flowers, gardening... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335986)

Shajen 09-13-2005 03:03 PM

shrubs, flowers, gardening...

I realize this doesn't pertain to 90% of OOT, but for you home owners out there:

Last summer I built a deck off the back of my house and in the process killed most of the grass around the outer edge of the deck. Suppose I wanted to till up this earth around the deck and plant some shrubs/flowers/plants around the outer edge of the deck. What would you suggest?

I'm not looking for exotic stuff, but things that do well in a moderate climate (Atlanta) and bloom late/ maintain color(s) year round. Basically, we are going to buy a new house in the relatively near future, but want to spruce this one up as best we can before selling. I realize that this won't (according to real estate folks anyway) increase the value of the home, but if it makes it look better, that's a good thing.

Any ideas? <font color="white">the first person to post SSIHP or YSSCKY will be proclaimed the biggest tard in all of OOTdome. </font>

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 03:07 PM

Re: shrubs, flowers, gardening...

i smell a martha stewart gimmick account coming...

Shajen 09-13-2005 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i smell a martha stewart gimmick account coming...

[/ QUOTE ]

Help me Obi-OOT, you're my only hope!

Help me Obi-OOT, you're my only hope!

Toro 09-13-2005 03:19 PM

Just go down to your local nursery with a sketch and they will help you. I'd give you suggestions but I live up north and the plants that do well here probably aren't suitable in Georgia.

Little Nursery humor: The local Nursery where I buy my plants has a message board and he likes to put up witty things. One of my favorites:

Myrtle is good in a bed.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-13-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle is good in a bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is terrible.

The advice is good, though. Just go down to a greenhouse/nursery and ask them - they'll help you out a whole lot better than anybody here and they like to do it.

Shajen 09-13-2005 04:29 PM

Eh, you never know when someone posting here might be an out of work landscaper or something.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah, the local nursery guys pretty much all sold out to Pike's, and I'd be asking a 16 year old kid. No thanks.

Time to google for local companies (if any still exist)

Toro 09-13-2005 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle is good in a bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your opinion but not shared by media outlets all over the country that did stories on it.

2+2 wannabe 09-13-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle is good in a bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

you'd have to be 85 to find this remotely funny

man this is bad

stabn 09-13-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, you never know when someone posting here might be an out of work landscaper or something.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah, the local nursery guys pretty much all sold out to Pike's, and I'd be asking a 16 year old kid. No thanks.

Time to google for local companies (if any still exist)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are serious i'll forward this to my mother who will give you the best answer you can get. She's some kind of weird cerified master gardener or something like that. Anyway, yah, she'll talk your ear off on this kind of boring subject.

Toro 09-13-2005 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Myrtle is good in a bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

you'd have to be 85 to find this remotely funny

man this is bad

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the number for the age transposed. Around 58 and you'll appreciate the humor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]