Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Flush draw and overcard, check and call flop? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281473)

Bill Lumberg 06-27-2005 01:29 PM

Flush draw and overcard, check and call flop?

Pre-Flop: Hero is BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP calls, MP+1 calls, 1 fold, cutoff calls, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.5 SB) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP bets, MP+1 folds, cutoff folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (3.25 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP folds.

QTip 06-27-2005 01:31 PM

Re: Flush draw and overcard, check and call flop?

I lead the flop.

Bill Lumberg 06-27-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my reasoning for not. I've determined my hand to be worth about $2.50 (I'm still thinking about how to determine equity quickly and accurately [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) If I check and MP bets and you get a caller or two, then your equity jumps above $4 and you raise. If someone in later position bets, you go for the overcalls.

QTip 06-27-2005 01:49 PM

Why would you think anyone else would bet? This flop is really quite raggy. Everyone may just fold to your bet.

imported_leader 06-27-2005 01:49 PM

I would lead the flop and the turn once two have folded on the flop. I think you have a significant chance to pick up the pot in both spots. Plus you have a huge draw on the turn. (flush draw + gutshot + overcard) When the king hits on the river you should continue to bet.

hobbsmann 06-27-2005 01:50 PM

I was also going to say lead the flop. I would do this mainly because of the combination of how much equity you have (~13 outs) and the fact the flop is so ugly you will probably be able to take the pot down a fair amount of the time.

Bill Lumberg 06-27-2005 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was also going to say lead the flop. I would do this mainly because of the combination of how much equity you have (~13 outs) and the fact the flop is so ugly you will probably be able to take the pot down a fair amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in my equity analysis, I fail to take into account fold equity and implied odds if I do hit my hand? This jacks it up a lot here? I'm really trying to learn how to identify the true worth of hands.

nepenthe 06-27-2005 02:08 PM

In my earlier days I would usually bet out this flop, what with folding and calling equity and cleaning up outs etc. Nowadays I mix it up. Bet/calling, bet/3-betting, c/calling, c/raising all have their merits and drawbacks depending on the situation. Here, given the way you played it, I think a flop c/r has merit once everyone else folds, followed by a continuation turn bet esp. now that you've picked up a gutshot draw to boot.

Given that you c/called the flop and checked the turn, the river bet is quite easy, although you may also consider inducing a bluff depending on reads.

Nate tha' Great 06-27-2005 02:12 PM

I lead out on that flop every time and twice on Mondays.

Bluffoon 06-27-2005 02:35 PM

I bet draws for the already mentioned reasons unless the flop or game texture leads me to believe that there is a significant chance I will get raised if I bet, especially if I think the raise will come from an early position and drop potential callers.

No one has yet mentioned that playing draws aggressively is a good way to keep your opponents from labeling you as weak-tight.