Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   overplayed or just right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403525)

jt1 12-22-2005 03:44 PM

overplayed or just right?

Villain is a LAG who loves the donk bluff. He's never donked both the turn and river before but he has donked either the turn or river 5-6 time before without the goods. He also sees way too many showdowns.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
3 folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, Button folds, SB raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

shadow29 12-22-2005 03:48 PM

Re: overplayed or just right?

I think that this line is reasonable. Without the read, however, I simply call the river, since the second donk usually means an Ax that hit two pair and was afraid to 3-bet. Not 3-betting allows the fish to go to showdown, which they like, without having to pay way too many bets when it's obvious that they're behind, which they don't lile. Even irrational players can understand what a turn 3-bet means.

adsman 12-22-2005 03:56 PM

Is he the kind of LAG who will raise any Ace preflop?

oxymoron 12-22-2005 05:08 PM

I don't hate your line but the river donk smells like two pair.

fizzleboink 12-22-2005 05:32 PM

I don't mind your line although the river donk is a little worrysome.

I'd just play it straight up against a lag and 3-bet the flop. I think that would have helped you make a decision later on in the hand.

peterchi 12-22-2005 05:37 PM

I 3-bet the flop but your line is intriguing as well...

But I don't think I'd have the balls to raise the river bet. Because we can't fold to a 3-bet anywhere, right?

Redd 12-22-2005 05:37 PM

Given the read, I think this super fine.

car ramrod 12-22-2005 06:07 PM

I normally 3bet the flop as my standard. But against this guy, your line might be best. If you think he will donk both the turn and river with just 1 pair, you get an extra bet with your line. B/c with my line, if I 3bet the flop and raise the turn, I am not raising the river donk.

12-22-2005 06:40 PM

I think I would just call the river bet against an unknown. Against this guy who is overly aggressive on bluffs I think the raise may be good. But how often will he call this raise if he is on a complete bluff?

The river raise may be good, but does he call often enough for it to be profitable?

True

wheelz 12-22-2005 06:45 PM

nh

against a normal player the river donk is worrisome, but a lot of these donkbet lovers seem to not care what you have... they just like to bet. i think the raise is good.